Author Topic: Help with miller 330a/bp  (Read 6794 times)

boltz2012

Help with miller 330a/bp
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:23 PM »
Trying to tig some aluminum and not sure what this thing needs to be on. Its a high freak liquid cooled machine. Its old but got alot of juice. Now when i try it acts like i dont have it hot enough. So i turn it up just a hair and next thing i know it will make an ok bead for about an inch then it turns the parent metal into crispy stuff. I cleaned it and established a good ball on the tungston. Using green tip tungsten and i think 4340...i think...Machine is on AC and have tried it on DC reverse..dont know which it needs to be on...guessing AC since DCR eats the tungsten. Cleaned the alluminum real well with a SS brush. settings are as follows....high freak range...high freak switch= continuous-start-off. Im running pure argon. set to 15 on flow. Amps go from 5-475 or on AC from 5-460. Ive tried everything and cant get it going. Ive got the owners manuel but not much help there. Im also running a lens...tried it both ways...with and without the lens...no different. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!!

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Help with miller 330a/bp
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
AC
High freq on continuous
Don't worry about the ball.  Just sharpen the tung to get any crap off it and the ball will form on it's own. Taper should be about 2x the tung dia for starters.
Don't know how thick you're welding but if it's in the 1/8" ball park, set machine between 150-180 amps and use the pedal.
This post has been edited due to content.

boltz2012

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:14:40 AM »
well there is the first problem...no foot pedal yet but my guy is working on it. next thing im getting is a plasma cutter. Guy says it will cut up to 3/4 inch plate all day...i think thermal dynamics is the name. pretty good size machine. Got all my air drops put in the shop today and working right with water collectors on each drop. so far i have 8 drops in my shop and 250 ft of hose on my ole one lunger so i shout be able to cut anything. Next is a lathe and mill machine. Oh plasma cutter is 850$ is this a good price.

On the aluminum welding im bout to give up man....thing is kickin my arse for real. Parent metal is 1/8 inch. i think im gonna have to have a pedal to weld aluminum tho cuz the heat is way to hot i think. Works fine to start but then fries the metal to a crisp...with a pedal id be able to back off the heat some. Thanx for the help bro. And how you been man? Havent seen anyone around here in a long time. But i think im good now. Gonna try to have the buggy running by the time LS comes. If not i will make it next time. May just bring quads. Looking at putting a busa on the yamaha for fun. Worried it will be to heavy to jump tho....Ill go out to the shop and give it another try.

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:08:30 AM »
 Don't give up on the aluminum it aint that hard. i agree with the foot pedal. and I would get the argon up around twenty-twenty five cfh.
 Can you post some pics,It sounds like you might be welding on something that is pretty small. 
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »
   You can not weld Ali with out a foot pedal.  Your heat builds up in the work and then you have to back off on the pedal to keep your tugston from falling off into the weld puddle and the bottom from falling out of the work.  What size of tugston are you using? That could make a difference. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:03:50 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
   You can not weld Ali with out a foot pedal. 

Sure you can, it just ain't easy.  I learned without a foot pedal in high school.  Didn't really get to use one until college.  Now I wouldn't even attempt it, but it is possible.

I would get the argon up around twenty-twenty five cfh.

And you'd be wasting half of it.  Especially if you have a lens.  I've been running 10 lately with no lens and no problems.  I like to run 12-15, but getting low on gas and have to stretch it out till I got cash for a fill.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:05:21 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
Then how about this? You can't weld ali worth a shit without an amptrol. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Then how about this? You can't weld ali worth a shit get the best results without an amptrol.

Now that's accurate. kick

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
Ok, if you say so. You gotta prove it tho. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
OH! Wait! I've oxy/acetylene welded ALI so I guess you ARE right. LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
OH! Wait! I've oxy/acetylene welded ALI so I guess you ARE right. LOL!!!!

That's possible too. Just like DC welding Alum.  Not the easiest thing to do and I won't be trying it any time soon.  I'll stick with my pedal.  I would recommend that Boltz gets a pedal.

Saying it can't be done is just false information.  That was the point of my post....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »
Only way you can is to "scratch" an arc.Then it contaminates the electrode. Sure it CAN be done but you're just effing with BS details IMO. In a practical sense it cannot be successfully done.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Only way you can is to "scratch" an arc.Then it contaminates the electrode. Sure it CAN be done but you're just effing with BS details IMO. In a practical sense it cannot be successfully done.

I really have only tigged stainless steel when I worked at Gatorade but that stuff goes together like butter. But we had a large machine with a pedal.

But is there a metal that will not contaminate the tungsten?

Like could a certain kind of steel have a tiny piece layed on the aluminum to get the arc going then trasfer off onto the work? So you scratch or at least start on the material that may not contaiminate the tungsten? Or will anything contaiminate it? Just asking.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
I really have only tigged stainless steel when I worked at Gatorade but that stuff goes together like butter. But we had a large machine with a pedal.

Like could a certain kind of steel have a tiny piece layed on the aluminum to get the arc going then trasfer off onto the work? So you scratch or at least start on the material that may not contaiminate the tungsten? Or will anything contaiminate it? Just asking.

Any metal on the tungsten will contaminate it.  Even if you just touch the weld puddle.  Or it spits. Your done.  Grind a new point of just break off the contaminated portion.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »

That's how it was done before hi freq.I built an entire car that way.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal