Author Topic: flux core vs gas  (Read 2309 times)

Snoopy

flux core vs gas
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
hello and thanks,
I recently got a lincoln 170 ( 200 bucks used and without a bottle )as most of you know this is a 220 welder, so I put a breaker and outlet in the garage for it, went to home depot and bought a small roll of flux core and tried it out.

I did some one sided sample welds on 1/8 inch steel and when I tore them apart I just wasn't satisfied.   I'm a stick welder as part of my day job so I know what to look for but I have ZERO experience with flux core prior to this.
The only mig I've ever used was a little lincoln 135 mig with gas.I thought that was a great little welder.       
Is flux core just plain and simply cheap crap ?   I can buy a buzz box for less than a bottle for my 170 pro.        wondering if the gas will give me what I'm looking for or should I just go stick since I'm use to it ?    thx

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: flux core vs gas
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »

Is flux core just plain and simply cheap crap ?  

You knew the answer all along.  Problem with stick on the thinner wall stuff is the burn through.  Get the bottle and don't look back. It will give you the results you are looking for IMO. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »
+1 Defiantly get the gas man you wont look back!
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »
The trick to cleaning up your flux core is runnig hot and whip it like you would 5p. Just focus your heat back at the puddle. This helps keep the puddle hot thus burn away the excess flux. Also remember With flux you get less metal down cause some of the wire diameter is flux. If you go to hard wire and plan on smaller projects, I would run .030 wire. Anything bigger, lays down too much metal and can become hard to controll.
But for lots of welding go with a bottle. If on a budget just run C02. Thats all I run ($13 a refil). The C02 runs hotter than mix mix but you can still get a great weld from it.
Just like stick welding temp and travel speed are key to making a good weld. Post some pics and we my be able to help with you issues.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
I would personally stay away from M.A.G. and run a combo of both M.I.G. and M.A.G.  All we use is 75% Argon and 25% CO2.  There is very little clean up and you won't regret spending a little more for the Argon.

If I was going to run a flux core wire I would go to a dual shield setup.  It wets in really nicely and you can get it in an 8000 series wire.  Just my $0.02 ;)
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Snoopy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
a bottle is in my not too distant future.  thanks for the advice guys.

Icky

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55:35 AM »
I have an old weld-pak 155 that i bought 8 or 9 years ago. I hardly use it anymore but i've never used anything but flux core in it and have been pretty satisfied. I did a few c-notches and 4-links on a few lowered trucks with it back in the day, couldn't tell you if they're still holding up or not though  ;D But i'm sure they are. Maybe i'll run a few passes with it tomorrow and post a few pictures if you want.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »
IMO,and I know I'm in the minority here but, nothing wrong with stick even on thin tube IF you are a good welder. All it takes is correct amp/speed and 1/16" rod.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

masternate42

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »
IMO,and I know I'm in the minority here but, nothing wrong with stick even on thin tube IF you are a good welder. All it takes is correct amp/speed and 1/16" rod.

Not alone!

Icky

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »

3/32 7018 or 6011 is pretty easy on tubing as well. What we usually use at work when modifying handrail except when ss then we tig.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
For most of us using 1/16 will put roughly 1/2 the heat into the weld and make burn thru quite unlikely even on 16 gauge tube. Nothing wrong with 3/32 and it's much easier to get but ,for myself,I like the 1/16 up to about 14 guage steel.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
I'm with you there fabr, I myself still use stick most of the time. 
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
I've never ran a MIG gun.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal