Author Topic: Tig Welding.  (Read 35913 times)

Jet

Re: Tig Welding.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
I Guess i'll get there eventually!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »
What are you making Phil one of those shifter paddles?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 07:23:13 AM »
Yes, all 3 and a half pages  ::)
They don't like to give ya too much info do they?? ::) ::)

Jet

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 07:23:59 AM »
Haha, Thats a new upright :O

Practice practice i guess.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
WTF a new up right??? For what?  You might wanna try using a heat sink, a bit of brass so the edges don't melt away. ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:32:13 AM by Reidy02 »

Jet

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
It's just scrap haha, I got the filler rod stuck in my hand and left the torch hoovering for a bit there, I'll try to weld something constructive when i get some more filler rod!  :o

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »
Ya can get it at BOC, the filler rods I mean..

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
I'd suggest using 4043 for welding either 3003 or 6061, and yes use some copper or brass for a heat sink.  It's very important that you use the correct size tungsten and cup for your material thickness.  Also if your welding Alum, you'll likely be using AC / Argon so you'll want to use a 2% thoriated electrode.  It will keep your tungsten from dancing around when you get the amperage up.  It's also a good idea to use something like a Scotch Brite pad on your filler rod to clean them up before use.  Prep your material too, get rid of any impurities and oxide.

I hope that new tig welder of yours is water cooled too.  If not you'll cook it welding aluminum for any real length of time.

Hope that helps Jet.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:26 AM »

Pictures Pictures Pictures

Pictures of the machine Jet! ::) ::) ::)

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »
There should also be an arc force setting.  Usually the higher you have the dial set the more punch you'll get, but the weld won't look as clean.  Turn the setting way down and the weld will look really shiny but your force will obviously go down.  Play around with it and like you said earlier, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Also there was a comment made about a foot controller.  Welding alum requires a bit more throttle control than that of steel.  I prefer the thumb throttle controller, in fact I'd be willing to bet if you tried it you would never go back to that damn foot control.  It really is personal preference, but one could argue that you have more dexterity in your thumb than your foot.  Not to mention some times you'll find yourself in a sticky situation where there really isn't a good spot to put the foot control and you'll have to put it in between your knees or something to use it.  I've been there, that sucks.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
Like with most things we are way behind the US and Little Bro Canada here in OZ we've only just sort of got the foot controllers, unless you have a shit load of cash then may be you can fork out the seven or eight grand to buy a Miller welder with a thumb controller. :o

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
Like with most things we are way behind the US and Little Bro Canada here in OZ we've only just sort of got the foot controllers, unless you have a shit load of cash then may be you can fork out the seven or eight grand to buy a Miller welder with a thumb controller. :o

Thumb controller USA $200.00.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
Which suits what machine? This is what I mean, the sorts of welders we can afford are relatively cheepys, by that I mean they are from china made on consignment by welding companies such as UNI MIG/ TIG, I know this as I bought an inferior machine and paid more for it cause the little prick that sold it to me went on about after sales service.... What a LOAD!!! Buyer be wear!! ::)

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
Pictures of the machine Jet! ::) ::) ::)
Hey Fast the machine Jet has is the same as the one I have and this is it!

Jet

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27:27 AM »
Yerp that's the one, Can someone maybe explain all the settings? Where should they be for alumnium and steel, maybe cromo aswell? reidy?

Thanks guys!

Jet

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal