Author Topic: pulse MIG vs TIG  (Read 3996 times)

Icky

Re: pulse MIG vs TIG
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »
I thought pulsed mig was for Aluminum mainly, though i've never used it. I can tell you that the pulse mode is a lot different then just pulling the trigger on and off. I found this for ya though http://www.millerwelds.com/pulsedmigprofits/Pulsed_MIG_BenefitsProdPg.pdf

b.c.bugger

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »
I've been running a Lincoln power mig 300 at work for about 6 years now, since they came out. First for .035 steel (which it does very well) and now as a push/pull .045 aluminum setup. For steel the pulse setting makes a poopy looking weld imo, never really found where it was beneficial. For aluminum though it works really well on pulse when welding thinner materials (1/8 or less and sometimes 3/16) for anything heavier I still prefer standard settings.
As stated, mig pulse is not the same as pulling and releasing the trigger repeatedly, rather it changes the frequency and duration of the waves (and makes it sound way different) It gives the appearance of a hot weld on thin material while not actually penetrating as far, with less burn through.
Pulse on a tig machine though is pretty much just like pulling and releasing the trigger (or foot pedal, or thumb slide...) and I personally can't get the hang of it, can't stand it and will never use it. Guess I've been doing the old (proper) way too long to relearn now but I've heard if you are new to tig it is easier to learn with pulse

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
Tig pulse is used for the same reasons it is for Mig.  Using the pulse for timing is not the way it was intended to be used.  You can adjust peak and off peak current and period length as well as frequency.  Some of the new inverter machines can pulse so fast you can't tell it is happening (or so I've read).  Pulsing for steel and stainless tig is supposed to agitate the puddle to allow bubbles to the surface also.
This post has been edited due to content.

Icky

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »
I have a syncrowave200 and it pulses pretty fast, so fast didn't know why it would ever go that fast. I'm gonna have to try it now that you mentioned it boost and see if the results are any different. I usually run it pretty slow, but I mostly use it on Aluminum. I have used it on 4130 before but I think walking your cup is stronger and produces a more uniform weld. And i'm pissed off cause I just noticed I got a -1 i've probably had it for awhile but I dunno who gave it to me to thank lol ;D

Bugpac

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 12:33:02 PM »
Basically unless there is some new machine with pulse, you pretty much just repeatedly pull the trigger on the gun while burning in on each pull foe a second or so to achieve the rool of dimes look all the off road fab guys seem to like with mig. The problem is, when you do this, if you wait too long in between burns, you get airborne contaminants in the weld puddle and a slightly weaker weld since there is no post flow on most MIG's

Mig weld is cold every time you start, pulsing with the trigger really is only good for no structural welds IMO, A stack of dimes can be made without ever letting off the trigger just as easily...

trojan

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Why do you guys always want info on good welds? I can give you a bit on crappy welds :P

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
My Sync 200 only goes to 15pps.  Some of the new inverters I hear will go to 200pps.  The idea with pulsing is to increase penetration by using higher amps, but lower the average heat input by using lower amps between pulses.  I have been playing with it a little and I see the potential, but I don't like using it.  Maybe I'll change my mind after getting more familiar with it?
This post has been edited due to content.

standfast

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
Pulse mig is for sheet metal and should not be used on structural members like buggy chassis'.  You should be welding
tube with a continuous trigger pull for as long as possible since most mig welders start cold and end hot.  You can
minimize those effects by changing nozzle distance.  Start real close and draw out as you finish.  But again it's best to
have position to weld for as long as possible. 

Regarding tig welders and pulse... pretty much all buggy parts are not thick enough to need amperage pulse.  My
inverter machine has it and I never use it. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
The reason I started this topic was because I get tired of hearing the "stack of dimes" thing. IMO MANY of the "stack of dimes" welds are just plain weak and poorly done .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Icky

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
I know that alot of guys on RDC like the weave pattern, Camburg as some pictures posted of their method.http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61562&highlight=Camburg+weave&page=3 They run two passes which I don't understand why, it's just as easy to walk your cup in one pass to achieve this look. I like the look of dimes on a mig weld................ if done without pulsing the trigger on and off, to me this makes for a weaker weld.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal