Author Topic: Tigging Stainless Steel  (Read 5900 times)

VLADD

Re: Tigging Stainless Steel
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 05:52:47 AM »
Hehehe,I'll have to try and find that cut!LOL!!!

I find some HEAD BANGIN' Metalica helps me to keep the rythem

phelpsracing1

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »
I usually run 100% Argon at about 25psi on my flowmeter. Any more than that you are just wasting gas.  Using the 2% thoriated tungsten makes a difference also.  You will need to sharpen the tungsten tip and have it sticking out of the cup about a 1/16"-1/8". The post flow should be around 10 seconds to keep the tungsten cooled down and help not to break your cups. 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:18 PM »
Whan I used to work at the Gatorade plant everything we did was stainless steel due to food industry rules. I used to weld all sorts of brackets and frames out of stainless on the tig. Was incredbly easy and fun just making "genral" things for the lines. I could lay nice welds fo this as could most of our shop guys.

However one thing they had special welders come in for was welding the tubes that the gatorade flowed inside. These guys would weld flanges on and elbows on the tubes and there were two of them that made the welds so nice you sometimes had a hell of a time telling where they welded it. It was beautiful work.

Some of our guys in the shop all wanted to be able to make these and tried but had all sorts of issues properly welding tube. One thing they finnally caught on was the guys who came in had gas on the outside BUT ALSO flowed gas INSIDE the tubes to prevent contamination from the other side.  They would have devices that nearly plugged the tube ends then flow enough gas to keep the insides full of the gas they wished

I Dunno if that would cause an issue?? Just saying that if you are doing a header you may get contamination on the inside???

Would the welders who may know think this might be an issue?? 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

plkracer

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
If you start to melt through then yes, the weld may be slightly contaminated on the inside. Wouldn't hurt to pump some argon in there first, and weld on the low spots where the argon settles.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 06:04:46 AM »
WHAT?????
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »
What waht?

Basically it involves getting somewhat thin metal so hot it can pick up contaminates from the other side of the weld. Even worse in pipes and tubes where it can hold the bad stuff near the weld if you do not purge the "normal" air out and fill with the proper gas. Not saying thats whats happening with the starting post of this thread but it should be considered.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Entropy

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »
What waht?

Basically it involves getting somewhat thin metal so hot it can pick up contaminates from the other side of the weld. Even worse in pipes and tubes where it can hold the bad stuff near the weld if you do not purge the "normal" air out and fill with the proper gas. Not saying thats whats happening with the starting post of this thread but it should be considered.

http://www.solarflux.com/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
What waht?

I got that part.I was just commenting on the partly fill the tube thing. ;D I was bored. ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

plkracer

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
I would do it if I were tigging. The solar flux stuff looks like a good alternative, but what happens to it after you weld it shut inside the header?

Entropy

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
I would do it if I were tigging. The solar flux stuff looks like a good alternative, but what happens to it after you weld it shut inside the header?

Having used it for... close to 15-years on 321-SS turbocharger manifolds.
Nothing happens to it, there is so little of it, it is simply is blown out.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:45 AM »
Very informative fellas well done, I always wanted to know how to weld stainless thanks! ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 07:08:07 AM »
One thing they finnally caught on was the guys who came in had gas on the outside BUT ALSO flowed gas INSIDE the tubes to prevent contamination from the other side.  They would have devices that nearly plugged the tube ends then flow enough gas to keep the insides full of the gas they wished

They are called sanitary welds.  Standard practice with anything that comes in contact with food or anywhere you don't want bacteria.  Ethanol plants hire a lot of sanitary welders during construction.  They also aren't supposed to use filler, but some guys cheat.
This post has been edited due to content.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal