Author Topic: This kind of front end has a real proper name... Does anyone know what it is??  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
I used to know it but it has slipped away and I am just trying to refind the proper name for this kind of a suspension. I don't mean bolt on of course but the A-arms that connect at the very front in the middle and the other heims are clear back by the drivers and passengers legs/hips.

Some call them A-arms still and thats kinda true but I know this type of suspension has a name. WHAAZZZZZZZIIIIIT!?!?!?!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Shit geometry?  ;)

I don't know, we have discussed it before and I don't think there is a proper name.

At full droop this style generally has to move forward as it starts compressing.  Yet they seem to work great!  It has convinced me that geometry just isn't that critical in the sand.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Shit geometry?  ;)

I don't know, we have discussed it before and I don't think there is a proper name.

At full droop this style generally has to move forward as it starts compressing.  Yet they seem to work great!  It has convinced me that geometry just isn't that critical in the sand.
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
You laugh, but I tried to figure that geometry out once, if you have a shorter upper arm for camber change then you get caster change along with it...  It gets very ugly, which is why most of them are almost parallel, and they work fine.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
lol  shit geometry... I like that but its not quite what I was looking for. I have heard its proper name before.

I am no great fan of them. They are primarily used as they make a lot of room inside the chassis for the people up front vs an a-arm setup.

But as you said they have issues and one of them is on long travel the tires must go foward before going up and they do not ride near as good as a-arms (given proper shock settings). Hell I have seen some really long travel with these and its almost like the fronts solid when hitting big whoops but the owners think they got the shit! (and they do...literally... Engineer called it!!!)   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
The other style is called a center piviot, so maybe this is a side piviot?

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
first off the clamp on sides are dangerous imo but for those that can barely use a wrench and have no ability to weld love them! of course they don't know what real suspension is so........ ah huh.     i believe I have always  and always heard them called j arms, but now they have the front ends with the swoop back uppers and I have heard them called j arms to.   
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
A person would be wise to use DS's front end conversion. MUCH ,much better!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
first off the clamp on sides are dangerous imo but for those that can barely use a wrench and have no ability to weld love them! of course they don't know what real suspension is so........ ah huh.     i believe I have always  and always heard them called j arms, but now they have the front ends with the swoop back uppers and I have heard them called j arms to.

I always thought a J arm was one where the shock didn't go through the top A-arm but instead went around just the front then hooked back to the upright.  That combined with the width of the frame mount made the Arm look like a J.  Early Banshees had them.

I really didn't mean any disrespect to cars that use this suspension style.  I have rode in some that worked well.  :)

Offline sandycrack

Well damn, you guys are rough!  Thats the arms I have on my car. Sure hope I have better results than what you describe. Either way I'll have a good time may just have to drink more beer.
You smell that?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
I cannot recall the proper name but I think it started with an H and was like five or six letters. But I cannot for the life of me recall it...  ??? With what I been exposed to its surprising I can remember anything or even have an attention sp.... oh look a chicken!  kick

I will find it.

Offline Punkur67

I dont know what the hell all of you are talking about. This style front end is harder to set up and takes a little more work to dial it all in but they work great. I get a clean 20" of travel in the front with a 10" shock. I can run through 3' tall whoops at 90+ mph and hang on to the wheel one handed without power steering. Just cause you dont understand something does not make it inferior. The key to these setups is keeping everything equal length and parallel. And its called an A arm front end, just a different style arm.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
I know Limos are set up that way.  They seem to ride well.  I think a lot of folks just assume a center piviot car is superious cause most big  names excluding Funco use it now.  S and S and a few others use this side arm mount.  Seem to be just fine?   

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

LiveWire

The name I have heard it called which I thought was appropriate is semi leading.

You don't want to land nose down on one wheel with that setup. It will be explained that your arms were ripped off by the roll. It is actually that the arms ripped off from the poor geometry which in turn caused the roll.

Offline Punkur67

The name I have heard it called which I thought was appropriate is semi leading.

You don't want to land nose down on one wheel with that setup. It will be explained that your arms were ripped off by the roll. It is actually that the arms ripped off from the poor geometry which in turn caused the roll.

What poor geometry are you talking about that would cause this?

Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal