Author Topic: track width  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
track width
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
so i've got all my suspension almost finished (except for the some bracing and the upper shock mounts (waiting until i decide on shocks)). i've measure my front (65" max) and rear (58" max) track width at the hubs. my wheelbase is 92". i'm ordering my wheels this thursday, i'm planning on 8" wide tires on the front and 12" tires on the rear. that will make me 73" wide front and 70" wide on the rear with zero offset rims. right?

i wanted to keep it under 72" wide so i was thinking of looking into front rims with a 1" offset inward to bring me down to 71".  any suggestions?

what's ideal for track width? should the front be wider, thinner or the same?

damn that's a lot of questions!

Admin

Re: track width
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Well if your talking backspacing not offset, im not sure how they figure offset, i think zero offset would be a 8" rim mounted at 4" anyhow, I would use 6" rims up front, 4/2 backspacing, 4" inside 2" outside, but what does that do to the scrub radius, you could also go 3/3 you dont want to use a 8" wheel with a 8" tire up front... Id also use 10" wheels on the rear with a 12" tire, you could go as far as 8 but it would really make the tire tall and rounded... the 3/3 would give you 71" plus sidewall.. 10" wheel out back with a 4/6 "4 inside" offset would give you 70 plus sidewall...

Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »
To add, Some people like the front wider, IMO i like the ass end the same or wider than the front, just a personal opinion is all tho...

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
so the decision was made for me because i have a 4 on 4 bolt pattern and i need atleast 12" rims. these factors and my budget allowing for only basic steel rims left me with one option for a itp delta rim. a 12x7 with a 2-5 offset. i chose some 25x8x12 itp mudlites for the front, mounted one on a 12x4 trailer rim i had, the profile looks ok and i am planning on adding beadlock which will make it a 12x5 rim. is that too skinny for an 8" wide tire. i was planning a 26x12x12 on the back on the 12x7 rim but i just heard the tires i settled on aren't available. i'm now considering some 26x11x12s, either itp terra-cross or maxis bighorns.

any opinions?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal