Author Topic: Check out this guys work. WOW  (Read 30414 times)

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
Re: Check out this guys work. WOW
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »
Sure.

Yes, I used .045" 5356 filler rod. The dash that I posted is made from .050" 3003-H14.

I've got to ask... Why 5356 filler rod on 3003?   

I was taught by AWS to only use 4047 or 4043 to weld 3003 to 3003.  I've never used a 5 series filler on 3003, but obviously it works for the lighter gauge material.  Have you used it on something a bit thicker?  I know that it's used for higher strength materials but the ductile properties of 5356 are quite a bit different from 3003.

Let me know.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27:40 AM »
Just so you know ZTFab...

My first statement on this thread was based on the first half dozen pics I saw, which did show undercut.

After further inspection of your work :o you are clearly not a novice, in fact I am a fan of your sheet metal skills.  The pics I first saw where not your best work, as I have seen a lot more after that first post and I must say it is very consistent and looks great!

So I'll be the first to say, my apologies for my harsh statement at the beginning of this thread. 

One more thing, it's okay if you build your project in someone else's 10,000 sq ft. facility if you work there for 80+ hours a week, manage 8 employees, take care of their customers, fix their problems, and make them a $h!t load of cash money, all while not getting paid nearly enough for it. ;D
See you all duneside.😎🤙

ZTFab

« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:52 AM »
I've got to ask... Why 5356 filler rod on 3003?   

I was taught by AWS to only use 4047 or 4043 to weld 3003 to 3003.  I've never used a 5 series filler on 3003, but obviously it works for the lighter gauge material.  Have you used it on something a bit thicker?  I know that it's used for higher strength materials but the ductile properties of 5356 are quite a bit different from 3003.

Let me know.

4043 has lower ductility than 5356 and when planishing the weld it(4043) will tend to crack.

1100 rod is usually preferred for formed parts but I have had excellent results with 5356 not only in the post weld formation and blending but long term fatigue and lack of cracking in the parts.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »
Very good info!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

ZTFab

« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2009, 08:14:41 AM »
Just so you know ZTFab...

My first statement on this thread was based on the first half dozen pics I saw, which did show undercut.

After further inspection of your work :o you are clearly not a novice, in fact I am a fan of your sheet metal skills.  The pics I first saw where not your best work, as I have seen a lot more after that first post and I must say it is very consistent and looks great!

So I'll be the first to say, my apologies for my harsh statement at the beginning of this thread. 

One more thing, it's okay if you build your project in someone else's 10,000 sq ft. facility if you work there for 80+ hours a week, manage 8 employees, take care of their customers, fix their problems, and make them a $h!t load of cash money, all while not getting paid nearly enough for it. ;D

None of my welds have undercut. Some of the welds have a concave profile which could appear to have insufficient throat depth but I assure you that they don't.

You also made the assumption that I didn't use filler rod at all and just "washed over my welds". I have never, nor will I ever do that.

I am the head R&D/Tooling fabricator for an ATV/UTV parts manufacturer (Pro Armor). We have a 50,000 sq/ft facility with an un-godly amount of equipment

It was also said that I only build "show vehicles"...that couldn't be farther from the truth. The fact that I build functional, race winning vehicles that are nice enough to go to shows is always an honor for me when they are invited or chosen to attend.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:42:16 AM by Masterfabr »

ZTFab

« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
Hey Paul when you do TIG welding do you cup walk or do you just hold the torch there?

I do freehand welding, no walking the cup.

I do make sure that my arms are well supported. I usually like to have my arm resting on something about mid forearm. This gives me stability and a good range of motion with the torch.

ZTFab

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »
Hey ZTfab. Good to see you on the forum. Got to say mate loving the work. your panel work is bloody excellent. Not to mention the notches and welds :D.

Like you say the biggest thing for a great weld is prep. That was one thing that was drummed into me as an apprentice. And you see the results. Its a pain in the arse but what you gonna do about it :D

One thing i've got to get is a TIG with HF. Atm all i got is a scratch start at home and it pisses me off so much cause it breaks the nice point you have to grind on the electrode.

Keep the pics coming mate.

Thanks Matt.

I despise scratch start but if it's all you got, at least you've got something!

Prep does take a lot of time and you are right...there ain't $hit you can do about it.  ;D

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2009, 10:38:30 AM »
I despise scratch start

You and me both.......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »
Ditto,it's how I learned as it was all I could afford at the time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
Wow that took off, thanks Paul! Have you got any footage of you welding you could post? I'd like very much to watch you at work!! ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal