Author Topic: Inboard/Outboard and axles  (Read 3726 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Inboard/Outboard and axles
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
Opinions again please. Is there any reason not to use inboard brakes? I understand all the benefits of lessened unsprung weight and stuff being a positive thing. My question/concern though is this: does the reversing torsional load between acceleration and braking have any adverse effect on a cv axle when using inboard brakes??????   
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Inboard/Outboard and axles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
Yes,  NEXT....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
Opinions again please. Is there any reason not to use inboard brakes? I understand all the benefits of lessened unsprung weight and stuff being a positive thing. My question/concern though is this: does the reversing torsional load between acceleration and braking have any adverse effect on a cv axle when using inboard brakes??????

You already have the midboard hubs/brakes, BOLT THEM ON!!   :police: 5: 5: :7 4: 5: 5: 9: :f :f :f

ff: gg:  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
Actually to mount the a arms it might be easier to move them inboard.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
You gotta be shitting me.....  Post a picture of those bad boys.  Are they made to mount with the round pattern like a ministub housing on a trailing arm?

I got lotsa ideas......  Post a picture before I put my foot in my mouth.   ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »
You already have the midboard hubs/brakes, BOLT THEM ON!!   :police: 5: 5: :7 4: 5: 5: 9: :f :f :f

ff: gg:  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Go make some aluminum chips! I'll post pic tomorrow.Have you bought rear wheels yet?  I think I'll buy the deeper offsets now available from douglas since the a arm setup will allow and give about a 2.5 inch longer still axle with the midboards.Any angle reduction is a good thing IMO
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »
I'll have 2 new 12x15 star douglas beadlocks for sale.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
Go make some aluminum chips! I'll post pic tomorrow.Have you bought rear wheels yet?  I think I'll buy the deeper offsets now available from douglas since the a arm setup will allow and give about a 2.5 inch longer still axle with the midboards.Any angle reduction is a good thing IMO

I'll have 2 new 12x15 star douglas beadlocks for sale.

Mine are 3.5" deep backspacing.  I wish they made them with more backspacing.  Are the ones for sale 2"?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
Hmmm i thought it was 2 and 4.5 but it's been several months since I talked to fullerton.They had just came out.Yeah I have the shallow ones now. If it's only 1.5 diff i may reconsider.Need to draw it up and see.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »

Yes,  NEXT....

I disagree here. Again I say 95% of CV failures are too much angle. The rear tires are so unloaded during braking and especially under really hard braking that the loads the CV's see during braking are not gonna do any damage.

Show me some that have failed like this that were not clicking at max angle anyways.

Some also claim the shafts cannot deal with the opposing torque. I DO AGREE that you should not spin a CV shaft one way under a lot of power for any time (or at all) then swap sides and try to spin it in the opposite direction. BUT there is a MAJOR differance here in loads.

Put a hot Rail/buggy in gear and nail it. It will wheely due to the nature of the beast. Now put it in reverse and nail it! (not withstanding those weak VW style reverse gears that fail if you try this. Lets just say reverse gearse in the tranny are tough in this one and won't fail. You simply cannot get enough traction to impose any real loads.

Doubt it? Take two buggies you know of. Whichever is faster have it put its paddles on backwards. Then try to drag race the faster buggy in reverse and the other in forward. The slower buggy will win going forward. This shows that the rear tires cannot generate nearly as much grip when unloaded so its not the worry some make it out to be. This is saying two buggies that are close. Not a Haybusa against a 20 horse industrial engine. Don't go there.

Even if you are hard on the brakes in the air and land in good traction the loads are not as bad as going forward thru the big whoops with the throttle hammered.

You do what you want. This is just how I feel about it. I have seen inboard brakes survive BAJA 1000 races. Your not to likely to be harder on them then they are. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
wow, just wow :o.  Fabr asked if there where any adverse effects.  I said yes, but I never said they were significant enough to worry about....

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »
lol I'll definatly have to give you that one Boost! But the way you first worded it seemed like you thought it was a sin against the buggy gods!  ;) 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
How'd you get that from two words and some punctuation?  I just gave a very short answer.  I know the cvs will handle it just fine, but the thought of all those hardened parts crashing together makes me cringe.  Like I said, they will handle it, I just have to try and block out the whole crashing together thing.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
Yes,  NEXT....

In my life one word answers were usually bad. Especially when the next word was stated loudly like the capitals of the word "next" suggest a finality to it along with the four periods.  Das all.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »
No prob, you just have to get her trained.  In my world just one period is both a blessing and a curse. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal