Author Topic: Swing Set Steering  (Read 2571 times)

Twisted Minis

Swing Set Steering
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of swing set style steering setups? I don't care what its on, I beam trucks, IFS, whatever. I am trying to gather ideas for an upcoming project.

Also interesting in any type of bell crank steering stuff you might have pictures of.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Swing Set Steering
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
I do not have any pics but the cars in the drive have them.

Its good to see others looking at this. I do not like racks and believe that swingsets more truely follow the arc the steering links follow at the wheel. Plus I have what I feel is a better way to turn steering motion into controlled back and forth motion.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Twisted Minis

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »
A rack and pinion won't really even work for what I need. I like the swing set idea a lot better. I also have a limited amount of space to work with, and I can build the linkage basically any way I want, where as a rack I can't do much with.

What do you mean the cars in the drive have them?

Any pictures will help me out. I have a few from Camburg, but I've never really seen one in person and I want to see as much as I can to make sure I grasp it the right way.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »
Bt the cars in the drive have them I mean my cars in my driveway have idler arms (swingsets) But they are all ford cause that what I happend to find good deals on when I was lookin....

So I have my old van with ford Ibeam and two wheel drive and the old dune truck with 4x4 and I beams. My big F450 has a massive stragiht axle in it so I will need to look at that. Then I have an AWD aerostar for a winterbeater and its got A-arms but I need to see as I think its got a steering box and not a rack but not sure of that. I will try to get some pics of them all later today and post.

I was just figuring you might have cars in your driveway as well with setups.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Twisted Minis

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
Ya my Toyota has the setup from the factory. I am wanting to build a different set up on the new frame I am building. I need to run rear steer to clear the front sump pan of a SBF, so I am trying to figure something out with a bell crank and swingset to move the steering to the back of the motor.

trojan

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Have a look at the way speedway/sprint cars do it. I was looking over an F2 the other day and I think it may have what you want.

Twisted Minis

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
I have not. Is there a place I can find good pictures of their steering?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal