Author Topic: Spare final drive housing  (Read 1470 times)

artie on edge

Spare final drive housing
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:32:08 AM »
This has been sitting about in its rough form since the last casting day. It was of no use in that format so I decided to at least finish the mounting surfaces.

Amazing how much swarf you can generate by taking off only 10mm (3/8 of an inch .. I think..) About 3/4 of a bucket.

Thats her on top...

Compared to its sister... you can see why im looking into a better finsih type of molding medium...

Now it can go back on the shelf.... and look at the mill afterwards! Rick has had a very profound impact on me.... (I think this is good....).

And if you guys are ever considering buying a mill. Buy the best you can afford and put an auto feed on the long axis..... I LOVE IT!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:36:50 AM by Artie on edge »

Rick S.

Re: Spare final drive housing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:36:06 AM »
Here's a little tip, Keep the shop vac handy and do a little cleaning while the power feed is running. I like to do this for the majority of the mess.
I do use the blow gun, but if you use it after the vac you have a lot less clean up in the end.
The casting looks great.

b.c.bugger

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
artie, that's very cool!
Way back in the high school days my old metal work teacher had a foundry set up in the classroom, grade 8 our project was making little anvil shaped alumin(i)um paper weights, but he used the setup to make everything from custom alum. go-cart rims to antique tractor replacement parts. He just used recycled motor oil in the sand (veeeery messy and smoky) what do you use?
Will you just be using alum plate for the covers?

artie on edge

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
artie, that's very cool!
Way back in the high school days my old metal work teacher had a foundry set up in the classroom, grade 8 our project was making little anvil shaped alumin(i)um paper weights, but he used the setup to make everything from custom alum. go-cart rims to antique tractor replacement parts. He just used recycled motor oil in the sand (veeeery messy and smoky) what do you use?
Will you just be using alum plate for the covers?

Gday mate, vegetable oil and minimal smoke. looking into green casting sand (clay n sand) for a better finish and yes plate for teh sides. Have a look at my casting thread.

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=329.0

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
Heaps Cool Artie way to go ol Son looks great, and I see ya gett'n into the mill good stuff..
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal