Author Topic: wheel bearing hub combo flex  (Read 5692 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: wheel bearing hub combo flex
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
Do you know of anybody near you that has any strain gauges?  That would be the ideal thing to do if you wanted to perform an accurate test.

sadly no.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

Very good point Oz! Ds, I was thinking about this after I got off the phone with ya, A theory we will be able to test very soon (I hope) after I move my calipers to the front on the new carriers.

I think what you have come up with for your new design will eliminate the issue altogether! nice job by the way.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
what I think might be happening, now that I see it in a different light, is that with top strap adding some strength and nothing on the bottom, I wonder if the carrier is trying to fold shut from left to right or visa versa like closing a book which would intern amplify the piston push.
does this make sense to anyone or am out here in left field by myself again? ???

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
I think your right on track!  I was going to ask for more pictures to see what else was plated, but if the flat plate on top is the only one laying that direction, I think your book folding analogy is probably correct.  The ring in the center would work or also a flat plate above and below the bearing mount location, running between the inner ears.  And possibly extensions between the inner and outer ears just for good measure.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:28:35 PM by Engineer »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
Engineer   I do think adding those two plates plus a third across the bottom would be sufficient. that was my first thought but I think I have some tube just the right dia to play around with over the weekend before I jump in. I wonder if the tube would be a bit stronger with 4 plates leading out to the heim mounting points?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
The tube would reinforce the whole area around the mounting face of the bearing, but I am guessing that the deflection is occurring more around the mounting bolts, so as long as they are reinforced I don't know if the method used will matter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal