Author Topic: Ecotec or Vtec  (Read 7914 times)

Offline jsbm

• VIP
Ecotec or Vtec
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »
I have seen several people suggest using these engines and their trannies and feeding them into an irs rear like a mazda or t-bird. I know I would need to make the tranny a true posi to make this work. My question is has any one done this or is it an off the wall idea?

Islander

Re: Ecotec or Vtec
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »
Are you planning 2 or 4WD?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
Hell,we're all off the wall here!  bounce gg:
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:48 AM »
It will be 2WD.

chrishallett83

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:54:25 AM »
A lot of guys make bastardised mongrel motors out of different Honda bits and pieces - a 2.4 litre bottom end out of a CRV mixed with the VTec head from an S2000 makes a wicked four cylinder that, once set up and tuned nicely, can crank out 260-280 horsepower all day long naturally aspirated. Plus they're fairly compact and nice and lightweight.

Problem is, seeing as it's a VTec, you'll have to start wearing sideways baseball caps and saying 'yo' and 'brah' a lot. You'll also need to install at least 7 subwoofers in your buggy.

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
A lot of guys make bastardised mongrel motors out of different Honda bits and pieces - a 2.4 litre bottom end out of a CRV mixed with the VTec head from an S2000 makes a wicked four cylinder that, once set up and tuned nicely, can crank out 260-280 horsepower all day long naturally aspirated. Plus they're fairly compact and nice and lightweight.

Problem is, seeing as it's a VTec, you'll have to start wearing sideways baseball caps and saying 'yo' and 'brah' a lot. You'll also need to install at least 7 subwoofers in your buggy.

LMAO

BBBWWWWAAAAAA   HA HA HA HA

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
thats awesome...lol   brought tears to my eyes.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
I'm liken Chris more every day

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »
 :t

LiveWire

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
Seeing as how a Honda has the output at the opposite end of the engine compared to the Mazda or T-Bird, I think the Ecotech would be easier to do.

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
I was just using these engines and trannies as an example. I know hondas run the opposite way. For that matter I could go with something like a GM 3800 V6 and it's tanny. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this or is it a lost cause.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »
I'm liken Chris more every day
Man love?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
If I was mounting it that direction, I would probably lean toward a V6 since it would be shorter front to back. A nice one to look into is a Duratec V6. It is aluminum DOHC, 24 valve. They were in quite a few cars so you can find them in the junk yard cheap.

Dodge Intrepid V6s have been used before since you can use the transaxle in them too. They are a T-drive like a VW.

chrishallett83

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
Mitsubishi 6A13. A 2.5 litre EFI V6 out of a 1520kg car that could do 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat, so in a 850-900kg buggy/rail, it should go like a cat shot in the bum.

Came in two common versions, SOHC or DOHC 24 valve. Forget about the SOHC, it's boring. The DOHC comes with two turbos, and was available in the Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR-4. This model cranked out 276hp and 268 ft/lb torque - plenty of go for a 2000 lb rail. As with pretty much all recent Jap EFI turbo engines, a boost up and retune (with supporting ancillaries if you go high enough with the boost) can have very positive effects on the numbers you get out of it.

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
You guys are only liking Chris cuz he gets all the girls cuz he's got all those speakers. ;D By the way I have a son that will turn 16 in 2 weeks and know all about having all those speakers in a car.

On a serious note is this idea feasible or will it cause more problems than it's worth.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal