Author Topic: Weighing a sandrail?  (Read 2186 times)

SCDL Guy

Weighing a sandrail?
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
Im going to be ordering some coil overs. How do you figure the vehicle weight at each tire? I cant find any bathroom scales that go high enough.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Weighing a sandrail?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Try UPS scales.  they go to 250.  That not enough?????

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Im going to be ordering some coil overs. How do you figure the vehicle weight at each tire? I cant find any bathroom scales that go high enough.

Guess?  Or take it to your local Coop and roll each corner onto the scale.  It is free, and they usually leave them on and you can see the number through the window at night.  They will get you within 10# up to 100K.  ;D  Actually a front and rear weight would be close enough, and divide by two to get the corners.

Don't forget to calculate the shock angle, and the motion ratio.  Ie if the wheel travels 20" and the shock travels 10" then the motion ratio is 2:1, and the spring will feel twice the weight that the wheel does, minus unsprung weight of course.   ;D  Then depending on the shock angle calculate some more.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
call a sprint or stock car shop and ask the how much they would charge for you to bring your rail up to their shop and stick it on a set of scales, all of those guys usually have them, my buddy builds stock cars and brought his set to my shop when I was figuring out spirng rates.....

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »
I rely on my local CoOp to use their scale..but ..you may not know what one of those are depending what part of the planet you are standing on! ;)

I use another option from a buddy of mine. He races circle track and has a 4-corner scale set-up for dialing in his roundy-round cars. That gets you to within a few ounces. So if you know anyone that is in to circle track racing (physically), I bet they know someone that could hook you up! :)

Edit - Yea, and what Yoshi said as I pushed the post button! ;D
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
Four corner scales are best and about anywhere in the US there will be a racer with a set.I agree find that dude and give him a few bucks for the help.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal