Author Topic: Spec's tire choices  (Read 7834 times)

SPEC

Spec's tire choices
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
I've been playing in the dirt and woods for a long time I have made some good tire choices and some bad tire choices..This thread is just my opinion on different tires that I have used, What my likes and dislikes were, I think alot of the guys here use tires much larger than I do but here goes

SPEC

Re: Spec's tire choices
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
I'm an idiot...this needs to go to msp

405dentech

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:07 AM »
I've been playing in the dirt and woods for a long time I have made some good tire choices and some bad tire choices..This thread is just my opinion on different tires that I have used, What my likes and dislikes were, I think alot of the guys here use tires much larger than I do but here goes
SPEC you cannot go wrong with those glow in the dark green ones. 3: ;D ;D

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:12 AM »
Ya I Had a 96 XCR polaris I stripped it down to the tunnel and bulk head and painted it all white and had the seat upolstered in white when I was going across feilds it looked like I was floating at 100 mph. ;D

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:17:20 AM »
I guess I'll start with my favorite ICE combo, These are 18.5'' holeshots with 1500 studs for the rear  The fronts are 19''razors with 330 studs in each...
I like this combo better than running an Knobby front since these keep more weight per stud on the ice, and the 460's don't have front brakes
The rear Holeshots are 6 ply, with carpet and a tubes, the carpet lines the tire to protect the tube...(the carpet and inner tube came after tearing some of the studs out). On the fronts I use SLIME to keep air in them...You want an intermediately hard tire...Too hard and the studs will just tear out ...too soft and the studs will and I mean will tear the tire to shredds...One more thing ALWAYS bake the studs in the oven before screwing them into the tires...If you don't the lube they put on them at the factory will allow them to ''walk'' out (you have to check them on a regular basis any way)The studs I use are 5/8'' kold cutters, they are a directional stud with 2 cutting edges...On the fronts I point them latterally The edges going from front to rear, and the rears They just come out random, most of the time, You want some to control the slide and some for foreward bite...
I dunno if this helped anybody but it was fun to write :-%

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:21:50 AM »
One more thing when storing them ALWAYS wrap them in duct tape It will save you from having hundreds of little cuts on your hands and arms from handling them...
One more thing to keep in mind when dealing with studded machines is to keep a shitty piece of carpet on the garage floor to protect the floor and your studs

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »
The next choice of tires I have is the aerostar sand tires, 22 x 11 x 8'', with 8 paddles..I picked these up for the trip to LS and Syrahole,
I had some others in the past, but there isn't much sand here in minnesota, and always some hard pack between here and there, so I went with these because of the blocks on the paddles,They seemed to work well in the dusty sand of syrahole, they never made it to LS...The CDI box went out right after I changed over to the paddles So they never got a good testing out with the motor never pulling over 4200 rpm...It's clutched at 3800 :'( But I think I'll put them in the classifed's

I had some scat trac ''V'' blades for left and right they seemed to work Ok, in the snow. I have never tried the aerostars in the snow yet

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:28:30 AM »
This next set is what IMHO are prolly the the best all around oval track tires for the 460's
Chen shin ICE tires they are really soft, and wear fairly fast but are sticky and give a good side bite for predictable slides, and awesome foreward bite in loose to semi sticky track conditionsm when the track gets some rubber laid down I switch to a different tire for the rear (more on that later)
The fronts are FRONT MAX I really like them...Actually they are my very favorite front tire for all occasions, They steer exellent are fairly puncture proof, hold studs well, and are pretty light... The tread blocks offer good turning, and self clean well, I think they are a way better tire than the Dunlops on the front of specinator's buggy...They turn OK but I'll get some pix on them later as well

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
Studs?

Ice?

Wtf?

Are you shirtin me?

You got ice to drive on?

Where did you get that from dude?

Aint that a little cold kinda?

Dont ya wanna stay indoors and hold the Specinators hand on days like that?

You could buy her some flowers and whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and then maybe, just maybe she might let you... do the dishes or sweep the floor (if shes feelin in a good mood that is)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
You could buy her some flowers and whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and then maybe, just maybe she might let you... do the dishes or sweep the floor (if shes feelin in a good mood that is)
:u
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
EFFEN A Artie you crack me up... ;D
The lakes here are already skimming over...We have what alot of people call ''shanty towns out on the frozen lakes...alot  of guy's don't go home for days at a time...they live in they're ice shacks...

Carl...
 hh:

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »
Mate its 92 deg here (your measurement) and your talkin ice?

For fug sake I see ice often! it clinks when I lift my glass............

artie on edge

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
what they doin out on the frozen lakes?

Isnt that a little boring?

I mean whats to do?

Isnt it dangerous?

Wont they fall through?

Are they stoopid?

I guess I just dont get it........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
Morons go ice fishing.Go figure.LOL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
How do you catch ice?

What bait do they use?

How do you cook ice when you catch it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal