Author Topic: broken  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: broken
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »
so whats the opinion? 

1. get new shaft. reassemble everything and go?

2. get new shaft, heavier rear shocks,  use pillow blocks, or those flat 4bolt cast iron bearing holders and bearings?

3. any ideas?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
how much plunge do you have, and how far did the bearings move?  See where I'm goin with this?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
yea i totaly know where your going with this.  there was some plunge but not much really. not more than half inch..  and even at full bump (for me, when the shock was completely compressed) it was still an inch from hitting the bottom of the cup.  the way its setup, at full bump the axle was slightly above being straight across.  straight across is when the tripod was at its max inward movement. which was about an inch from hitting the end of the cup.  so full droop would pull it away from bottoming out the cup, as well with full bump.  and again, each way it was not close to coming out of the cup either.  thats why im so confused as to what actually happened. and what i should do to get it back together as i dont want this happening again.  and boost i appreciate your help, and critique as i am doing the best i can...  ALSO-- the bearings didnt actually move, they stayed solid with the center axle as did all the hubs, sprocket, brake rotor.  the whole center axle assembly move out of the bearing flanges. so somehow there was alot of force on one end of the center axle
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:31:09 PM by Voodoochikin04 »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
Bottom line is....There is only one way to generate that much sideways force on the bearings without making a pretzel out of other components.  Either something flexed and your axle bottomed out in the cup, or it bound up and didn't plunge.  The leverage of the arms and the weight of the buggy did the rest.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
that has been my thought.. that it didnt plunge and forced everything over... only plausible explanation... which brings me back to what should i do? 

chrishallett83

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
Just a personal preference, I'd replace the tripod CVs with some nice aftermarket Rzeppa CVs like those high-angle ones from RC Performance

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
Just a personal preference, I'd replace the tripod CVs with some nice aftermarket Rzeppa CVs like those high-angle ones from RC Performance

This above sounds like one of the better ideas.

master-- i know that.  but side loads on the wheel are not trasfered as side loads on the cv's due to the a-arms.

Which points back to the CV doing it.

nutz- i was under acceleration, but this small bump in the road was not any bigger than anything i have hit before.

well... could a bottomed out landing had hit the sprocket,

So you bottom it out a lot??

Look right in the bottom of the CV cup too. If the impact took place there a mark may or may not be. The bottom of the cup MAY be softer than the hardend races the joint actually touches.

How far from the scene where this happened are you? Being that the three little donuts were missing off the tripod joint they could have fallen off once it popped out.  But what if at a extreme angle they popped off INSIDE the joint?

Tripods are not know for there max angles. Do you know what angles it was running at at its max droop and compressed?? 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
i dont know how they could have popped off in the joint..  they weren't running at steep angles..  dont bottom out alot, but it has happened a few times.  id like to stay with these cv's if possible, due to abundance at scrap yards.  6bolt flange instead of splines.  whole rear end and hub brackets are made for this setup..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
I agree.The tripods aren't supposed to have a lot of angle on them. If I remember right you have quite a bit of angle at full droop. Do you know what that angle is/was?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »
I think you previously posted some rear view pics that shows quite a bit of angle. Can you post them back up?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
Do some research on your CVs.  I don't know what you're using, but when I bought axles for my Dakota, factory and remans had real CVs.  The aftermarket replacements had tripods.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
1994 s10/blazer front 4wd

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »
That's about "max" droop. From what I have seen on a few 4x4 sites that deal with lifted front ends on S-10 4x4's the tripod is good for 25 degrees MAX. You can run them at their limit a bit more with less load (minibuggy vs s-10 with big tires) but going past their limit is not gonna go unnoticed.

Its tough to measure but when I try to with a degree wheel I get closer to 30 degrees on this pic.

Ball CVs will click like a mofo to warn you your pushing it fella.

Perhaps this is what Tripods do if they get over angled maybe? (If it is over 25 degrees)

When you put the bigger sprocket on did you raise the center part of the rear end any? I am not sure how you would with your desing but maybe??  I know this pic was before that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:22:10 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 05:56:40 AM »
That's what I see also. I think they are past max angle and the bigger tires just put more load on the tripods than the smaller tires did  and POOF.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
they would make noise, not click, but snag or get hard to turn when you approached a steep angle.  they still turned very smooth at that angle (full droop)..  not saying that maybe that is to much... but that still brings me to my question, ok bigger tires, more pressure on the axles... but why the eff did it hammer the whole center section over? 

also--  when i put the 60tooth sprocket on, the 1/4" plates on the bottom were still below the sprocket. not the best way, but they did ad a measure of protection.     

when i go to reassemble this, i can change my full droop angle on the cv's if that is the issue..   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:37:38 AM by Voodoochikin04 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal