Author Topic: broken  (Read 8241 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: broken
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
the sprocket teeth were not damaged from an impact. They are chewed up on one edge from rubbing the frame when the bearings popped, it did get bent though. the bottom of the frame is smooth and free of scratches or dents. no bottom impact.  it has to be the cv axle being the cause.. theres no other reason for it. im scared to just put everything back together with new parts.. dont want this happening again. 

hey doug, thanks for the offer!!!! i'll take you up on that!! :)
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
I have changed a few tripod CV's in the cars they came in but never messed with one at a high angle.

Even if it did not pop out of the cup I wonder it at a really heavy angle it can simply wedge itself in there that hard?  If it did the metal would have maching marks of some type I would think.

Have to put the CV and the cup in a solvent tank or what not and clean them till the grease is gone to maybe see if it wedged itself?

You do got a bit of a conundrum (sp?) thats for sure.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
Take a good look at the chain itself. It would have took the beating if it hit something before it got to the sprocket.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »
was a brand new chain. i looked it over. it came apart at the master link. master link was gone.  i wasnt really running those cvs at very high angle.. and they were within same angle during all operation conditions.. from full droop to full bump, they never snagged, clicked, caught or anything other than smooth operation..lol  i dont get it..  yea ill get that cup cleaned out completely.. 

can you rebuild the cv's? or what?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »
While some places might sell parts to rebuild certain CV's usually my expierience has been to replace the whole deal as all the parts are either wore or damaged.

Any chance a rock went between the frame and the sprocket? If one got slung in there it might have gave your rear end a wedgie.  :-X

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
that would have pushed the bearings out the other way. 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I know you said the track was hardpack dirt but I could see a rock bigenoguh to fit beteen the sprocket and the outside frame where the arms are. But if no rocks there like that then chalks that off.

The sprocket (pics kinda dark) was bent towards the center?

How would you say the sprocket is bent? What bent it?

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
no rocks at all on the track. smooth hard & medium dirt.  the sprocket was a little bent from beign pressed up against the center frame and kept rotating with the rest of the drive train. i believe the chain snapped due to the whole unit being forced over 2 inches....  its gotta be that cv, but i dont know how. 

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »

it was not possible that the cv hammered it over.

its gotta be that cv

Final answer? LMAO
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
I have changed a few tripod CV's in the cars they came in but never messed with one at a high angle.

Even if it did not pop out of the cup I wonder it at a really heavy angle it can simply wedge itself in there that hard?  If it did the metal would have maching marks of some type I would think.

Have to put the CV and the cup in a solvent tank or what not and clean them till the grease is gone to maybe see if it wedged itself?

You do got a bit of a conundrum (sp?) thats for sure.
I'm thinking that there may not be any signs in the cup or on the tripod due to their hardness. Clean the things out completely and try them dry. If there is any sign of tightness at all it could bind when running under load and cause the axle to jack the shaft over. Try doing this at many locations through one revolution. There may be a "sour spot". It's very unlikely any normal offroad side load would be capable of doing this. Unless of course you have been jumping and landing hard on one side or the other or hitting big obstacles like trees.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:41:50 PM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
boost---  theres really no way that the cv, due to improper geometry (like you stated it could be, when i made that answer) could have done this damage.. but there are no signs of anything else being the cause, leading me to the conclusion that somehow the cv had to have done this..  i jsut dont know how. 

master.. i cant put it back together because the rollers or whatever on the tripod end of the cv are gone, i would assume from the end of the shaft flying around after it came apart?.  also, side loads would have no impeadence on the cv axles, because the a-arms would have to fail inorder to put side force on them, from the wheels. 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »
Thats true Fabr about the hardness. I would imagine it would leave some tell tale but perhaps not. 

Also of note. Voodoo you were landing hard and IF you were were really into the gas in a lower gear the loads on the CV will be VERY high. It MAY not bind while cycling with no load but toss in a HUGE torque load and its a different ball game on it binding perhaps. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
boost---  theres really no way that the cv, due to improper geometry (like you stated it could be, when i made that answer) could have done this damage.. but there are no signs of anything else being the cause, leading me to the conclusion that somehow the cv had to have done this..  i jsut dont know how. 

master.. i cant put it back together because the rollers or whatever on the tripod end of the cv are gone, i would assume from the end of the shaft flying around after it came apart?.  also, side loads would have no impeadence on the cv axles, because the a-arms would have to fail inorder to put side force on them, from the wheels. 
Things bend/move/deflect more than we realize under loads.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Thats true Fabr about the hardness. I would imagine it would leave some tell tale but perhaps not. 

Also of note. Voodoo you were landing hard and IF you were were really into the gas in a lower gear the loads on the CV will be VERY high. It MAY not bind while cycling with no load but toss in a HUGE torque load and its a different ball game on it binding perhaps. 
Yup
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »
master-- i know that.  but side loads on the wheel are not trasfered as side loads on the cv's due to the a-arms.

nutz- i was under acceleration, but this small bump in the road was not any bigger than anything i have hit before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal