Author Topic: broken  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: broken
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
Since its offroad, I'd say anything is possible.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
well... could a bottomed out landing had hit the sprocket, causing it to move the whole axle assembly over, which in turned pulled the tripod cup away from the cv axle and allowed it to rip out?  i had just went over a small bump which bottomed out my rear thats when i noticed the chain had come off. i coasted to a stop, got out and found the massive damage...

I do not rememebr the pics (if there were any of this part) and the search is not being my friend to find any of your build.  How far below the frame was the sprocket? I have never liked that concept and even then only in sand is is something that will survive for a bit.

Was the terrain rocky? That much force would/should have left marks on the outside of the chain where contact was first made if that happened.

EDIT: I also think you would have felt it in your spine when/if you hit this hard and it was not rubber tires and shocks absorbing the impact and  the force would have been felt very harshly by the back/butt/neck.

Imma go look more for the pics in the build forum.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:51:25 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »
the sprocket is below the frame but i built plates going across, level with the sprocet so that it would'nt hit ground.. but that is the only thing that could have happened.. because there is absolutly no way for the cv axle to pop out from the cup, no way. was not even close under full droop or bump..   ill get pics tonite

nutz-- it was a hard hit in the rear of the buggy. it bottomed out. but like i said i had steel plates level with the sprocket to kinda protect it.  so i dont know..
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
Were the plates hammered???

Chain damage from kissing a rock?

Heck where it happened (where you were driving) you might find steel grind marks on a rock there? Might help to tell the tale.

Pics!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
going out tonite to start dissasembly.. ill get pics.   btw.  hard to medium pack dirt was what the track was..

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
got it all taken apart.  cant see why this has happened... cv end looks fine. cv cup is not dinged smashed or chewed up. nothing is...   the pictures of the bearings shows how they were pressed out of the flanges.  so what could have pressed the bearings and axle over? through the flanges?.. ugh.  it was not possible that the cv hammered it over. from full droop to full bump the tripod never came close to coming out or bottoming out in the cup.  so im at a loss..

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
First off and someone correct me if I am wrong.

Those bearings look like they are flat across the outside surface.

And those pressed metal flanges are only for bearings that are rounded on the outside!

At least those are how I have ALWAYS seen them. I have never seen pressed metal flanges for a flat outside bearing.

No damage inside the CV cup on the side that pulled apart at all huh? That is weird. Wipign the grease off amy show something but maybe not?

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
Just read up on this... Sorry to hear. Let me know when you need a new sprocket. Ill donate it if you pay shipping!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
First off and someone correct me if I am wrong.

Those bearings look like they are flat across the outside surface.

And those pressed metal flanges are only for bearings that are rounded on the outside!

At least those are how I have ALWAYS seen them. I have never seen pressed metal flanges for a flat outside bearing.

I thought I was just seeing things....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:55:38 AM »
Same here.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »
no they are curved!!! lol. just the an illusion and the marks on them from being pushed out.. they are curved and fit the flanges. i bought them together from the local bearing shop..

also i wiped enough grease off to see the tripod part. the pics make it hard to see for some reason. i can get better pics of anything ya guys need to see??

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
The first couple pics of the parts still in the frame were a tad dark.

I would have liked to have seen a couple shots of it before it was tore apart of where you think the impact took place (i.e. the bottom of the frame near the sprocket area??) Those still might point to something but maybe not with it apart? Were your protective plates damaged any?

Also a pic of the tripod cup inside and out wiped "clean" of all grease. (Yah I am stuck on that! lol) 

Also a pic of the sprocket and look the chain over for signs of impact.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:10 AM »
Are the bearings curved all the way across??? Or just on the edges?

It may be an illusion but if it is its a GOOD one. I have relooked at he pics and it sure as hell LOOKS like a you could lay the flat part of a ruler on the back of them. From all the angles.

In case you do not know if you try to take a close up pic and your camera has a "Macro" setting use it. Makes close ups under a few feet MUCH nicer.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »
no they are completely curved i know the difference in a curved and a flat bearing... tell ya waht.. ill take pics of a ruler on the bearing that way you can see..  they are curved bearings that fit the flanges perfectly.. its an illusion.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:50 AM »
The first couple pics of the parts still in the frame were a tad dark.

I would have liked to have seen a couple shots of it before it was tore apart of where you think the impact took place (i.e. the bottom of the frame near the sprocket area??) Those still might point to something but maybe not with it apart? Were your protective plates damaged any?

Also a pic of the tripod cup inside and out wiped "clean" of all grease. (Yah I am stuck on that! lol) 

Also a pic of the sprocket and look the chain over for signs of impact.

I agree that I feel that the tripod did not slide in the cup for some reason. It takes a lot of force to push those bearings out like that and I feel the axle/tripod/cup is at fault.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal