Author Topic: broken  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
broken
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
so i get my new kenda bear claws.  going down the trails and even the roads, its all over the place.  drifts back and forth.  on the trials its just unpredictable, throws you around, lame!!!  then yesterday driving over some rough terrain at the off road ranch and the whole rear end breaks. center axle shifted over pushing the bearings from the flanges, bending my sprocket, forming my brake rotor like a symbal from a drum set, tearing one cv axle apart, destroying chain.  lame shit..   oh and all my extra power i had gotten went away and buggy runs like ass..
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: broken
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »
Carnage sux-got pics?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Crap,  :'( any idea what came loose to start this war.  Hope this was not the case:
I'd say save the big motor for 2nd build ;D ;D.  New tire would give more grip, but put them on 2nd set of wheels, that way you can swap easily. Nothing like droping the hammer in 2nd and the buggy spin in circles in a field.  Grippier tires more prone to break stuff when they hook up.

Least you got all that video to watch, hell had rode mine in two months.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
the damage thats done, looks like you used a hydraluic press on one side of the center axle and pressed it over.. a ton of force had to be applied to do that damage. but there is zero side load on those parts so i dont get it.  since the center axle shifted over so far it pulled the tripod out from the cup and then ripped the boot and severed connection...  ugh. i dont wanna just fix it and replace parts because i dont want it to happen again. i just dont understand how it happened.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »
Pics might (would) help but on the rough terrain is it possible the axle pulled out of the cup first then when it tried to compress the suspension the axle hammered it over?

Can you see marks on the tripod CV case or tripod itself to see if it mashed the metal IF this happened? It would likely leave some evidence.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
That's the trouble with those big tyres they give ya sooo much traction that any weak point in ya rear will be pointed out, where ya into it when it happened?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
Pics might (would) help but on the rough terrain is it possible the axle pulled out of the cup first then when it tried to compress the suspension the axle hammered it over?

Can you see marks on the tripod CV case or tripod itself to see if it mashed the metal IF this happened? It would likely leave some evidence.

I think you're on to something there.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
What Nutz said makes sense.  There is two causes for that.

1. Your geometry is wrong allowing the axle to pop out.
2. Your homemade uprights, or arms, or mounting tabs gave which allowed the axle to pop out.  Start at the outside and work your way in....

Your description of it acting goofy before failure has me thinking #2.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:52:56 PM by Boostinjdm »
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:54 PM »
none of my tabs, frame or anything is tweaked broken or anything.. and when cyclying the arms with axles installed, the tripod didnt come close to comming out.  my short center steel axle with the two bearings on it, which has the brake rotor, sprocket, and cv axles hubs mounted to was pushed over.  it would make sense that the tripod came out of place and then when the suspension was compressed it forced everything over, except that could not have happened.  from full droop to full bump the tripod never came close to being able to come out. ill get pictures when i go to work on it. the only reason the axle is popped apart now is that the whole assembly shifted all the way to one side which then was allow to pop out and tear the boot.  but that axle could not have shifted unless extreme force was applied. it pushed the bearings out of there flanges, reformed my brake rotor.... crazy.

boost--  yea i checked all that stuff, my uprights, hubs, shocks, mounts, everything to try and figure why is was so squirrely.. but the only thing that changed was the tires..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:13:53 PM by Voodoochikin04 »

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
so i get my new kenda bear claws.  going down the trails and even the roads, its all over the place.  drifts back and forth.  on the trials its just unpredictable, throws you around, lame!!!  then yesterday driving over some rough terrain at the off road ranch and the whole rear end breaks. center axle shifted over pushing the bearings from the flanges, bending my sprocket, forming my brake rotor like a symbal from a drum set, tearing one cv axle apart, destroying chain.  lame shit..   oh and all my extra power i had gotten went away and buggy runs like ass..
Sounds like something may have been loose, as you say it was all ova the place, drifting back and forth... :o
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »
A few good pics of different angles may help someone see something yah missed maybe?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
none of my tabs, frame or anything is tweaked broken or anything.. and when cyclying the arms with axles installed, the tripod didnt come close to comming out.  my short center steel axle with the two bearings on it, which has the brake rotor, sprocket, and cv axles hubs mounted to was pushed over.  it would make sense that the tripod came out of place and then when the suspension was compressed it forced everything over, except that could not have happened.  from full droop to full bump the tripod never came close to being able to come out. ill get pictures when i go to work on it. the only reason the axle is popped apart now is that the whole assembly shifted all the way to one side which then was allow to pop out and tear the boot.  but that axle could not have shifted unless extreme force was applied. it pushed the bearings out of there flanges, reformed my brake rotor.... crazy.

boost--  yea i checked all that stuff, my uprights, hubs, shocks, mounts, everything to try and figure why is was so squirrely.. but the only thing that changed was the tires..

I would look it over again. There really is nothing else that might generate the force needed. 

Did this all happen RIGHT after a big landing or at least a really hard compression of the rear suspension?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »
I don'y remember but are you using slip joint axles?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
well if everything is still correct, and your geometry was right, then there is only one possibility left....

Magic.
I'm with Nutz, look it over again.  Something moved whether you think so or not.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
well... could a bottomed out landing had hit the sprocket, causing it to move the whole axle assembly over, which in turned pulled the tripod cup away from the cv axle and allowed it to rip out?  i had just went over a small bump which bottomed out my rear thats when i noticed the chain had come off. i coasted to a stop, got out and found the massive damage...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal