Author Topic: worth it?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
worth it?
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:07 AM »
so... i basically built my buggy around my current engine, the 95, suzuki katana 600.  would it be worth it to upgrade to an r6 engine?  my drive line is a keyed axle (1-3/8") 5/16" keyway using cobalt hss lathe bits for the keys.  has seemed to hold up great so far. if i used an 03 or so r6 engine, is my axle gonna be strong enough still? would it be worth it to try to wedge that sucker in there?

currently i cant get any traction, just blows the tires off in 1,2,3 gears..  pulls great through the rest.  so basically.. would it be worht all the work and turmoil of upgrading to an r6 engine, compared to what i have?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »
so... i basically built my buggy around my current engine, the 95, suzuki katana 600.  would it be worth it to upgrade to an r6 engine?  my drive line is a keyed axle (1-3/8") 5/16" keyway using cobalt hss lathe bits for the keys.  has seemed to hold up great so far. if i used an 03 or so r6 engine, is my axle gonna be strong enough still? would it be worth it to try to wedge that sucker in there?

currently i cant get any traction, just blows the tires off in 1,2,3 gears..  pulls great through the rest.  so basically.. would it be worht all the work and turmoil of upgrading to an r6 engine, compared to what i have?

Voodoo
  Sound like to me that just new tires would put more power to the ground.  Easier then a new motor.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
Power to the ground is all that matters. I'm with fast on that one. Tires now,motor maybe later.   I used to get a real kick out of the guys that would brag about how big a burnout they could do. Hell ,all I care about is hookin' up and getting my ass down the track.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:34:49 AM »
I'd say save the big motor for 2nd build ;D ;D.  New tire would give more grip, but put them on 2nd set of wheels, that way you can swap easily. Nothing like droping the hammer in 2nd and the buggy spin in circles in a field.  Grippier tires more prone to break stuff when they hook up.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
well i was saying that because it seems i have good power now.. so i was wondering if spending the cash on that motor would make a noticable difference in performance, and if it was worht the time to do it?..  maybe i should be saving the money and just be happy with what i got?

maybe put that money into buying some good heims and making my rear tires adjustable?

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
well...   

does anyone have a set of tires they wanna sell?  my currents are 22x11x10  i would'nt mind going taller or wider, but not much taller. ill still need to keep my 10" rims.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »
I have a set of Realtor I believe.  Probably only 5-6 trips.  Serious mud tire with a large lug going across tire kinda like sand tires.  Think they may be for 9" wheel as they were on my Suz 250r.  Will check when I get home and put some pic if it will fit. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:33 AM »
hell might as well go with all 4's...  anyone have fronts also? my currents are 21x7x10

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
I have those fronts already on Douglas red label rims. 4 on 4 pattern. Id part with them if your intrested.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:37:08 AM »
I got a shitload of tires I'm looking to get rid of ;D
And a cbr 1000 When you going to be around I'll give ya a call

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
at work all day.. cant talk on phone. but can sure browse online.  spec id like to have that cbr1000, but i hate spending money. im sure that has been noticed..lol.  what ya got for tires? anything my size or bigger.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal