Author Topic: Turning non disc wheels and spindles into a disc set up  (Read 3731 times)

SPEC

Re: Turning non disc wheels and spindles into a disc set up
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
I got ya covered there as well

Boomer-61

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
How are those stub axles held in place? 

chrishallett83

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
Please excuse the crudeness of the fabrication.  The hubs are standard trailer hubs, probably cast iron.  They do have holes all the way through so the idea of using spacers and studs would work.  How much stopping power can you get out of a disc that is about 6-8 inches in dia?  I have no idea what the wheels came off of.  I just matched them to my hubs from stacks and stacks and bought them.  Not very scientific but the price was right.  Livewire, how do I get a hold of Rick to check into his set up?  Thanks for your help.  You guys must just roll your eyes when you see my posts.  Ha!

Is that zero king pin inclination I see? How's your scrub raidus? Will you be fitting power steering?

SPEC

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 04:26:18 AM »
How are those stub axles held in place?
Originally they (spindles) were going to be Ali. with a threaded snout.... but mumbler got busy and I got sick so these are steel with the snout welded in I think we have a cad drawing of them threaded and bolted on the steel...I do have another option...

Boomer-61

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:06 AM »
Chris,
    The king pins are vertical and they stay that way throghout full travel.  It is not power steering, standard rack out of a 80's Hyndai Excel.  I can adjust the king pins to suit.  I've gotten a lot of feedback from this and other sites about angles and I thought the best travel options were to stay vertical.  Am I wrong?  This is going to be a woods buggy, not a dunes buggy.  If you have insight, please pass it along, I'm open to suggestions.
Spec, Threaded would be nice, allows you to replace them if damaged without having to fab up the entire works.  I'd have to weld mine in.  You get my PM?
Boomer   

SPEC

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:06 AM »
Yup got it...

LiveWire

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
I have aluminum hubs that will fit your spindles, most likely even the same bearings. They are 4 on 4 and have brake disk mounts on the back. I also have laser cut scalloped and slotted rotors that are zinc plated. They were designed for use with Wilwood PS1 calipers which I also have. My email is sales@aftershockmotorsports.com

chrishallett83

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »
The king pins are vertical and they stay that way throghout full travel. I've gotten a lot of feedback from this and other sites about angles and I thought the best travel options were to stay vertical.  Am I wrong?  This is going to be a woods buggy, not a dunes buggy.  If you have insight, please pass it along, I'm open to suggestions.

Mate there really is no definitive right and wrong, just whatever you prefer for your situation. With the tyre contact patch so far outboard from the vertical pivot line of the upright and all other settings fairly standard, the steering could wind up being fairly heavy and suffering from kickback through the wheel. Obviously your results may vary. I personally would run more king pin inclination to reduce the scrub radius, but if you want it like that, then go for it.

Boomer-61

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
There in lies the problem, I haven't run it at all so I don't know how it will handle.  But, a good many of you guys out there are recommending inclination of the king pins and it makes sense and I can easily change it especially if I convert to Spec's style of spindles.  I'd like to have as few issues as possible when I finally do run this thing so I can spend more time running and less time tinkering.  Thanks for your input.
Boomer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal