Author Topic: Turning non disc wheels and spindles into a disc set up  (Read 3730 times)

Boomer-61

Turning non disc wheels and spindles into a disc set up
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
I would really like to put disc brakes on the front of my two seat buggy.  I've already fabbed out the spindles for a non disc set up.  My wheels are non-disc.  My question is, aside from buying and fabbing new stuff, is there somewhere on this site or another, a technique for converting a non disc set up into a disc set up?  I'm sure someone has done it somewhere.  Thanks guys.
Boomer

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Turning non disc wheels and spindles into a disc set up
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
Are you asking about spindle mount rims with just bearings and you wish to add brakes?

Being you have fabbed the spindles you would have to add or change them but I have contact info for a guy who (he used to anyways I think he still does) takes VW spindle mount aluminum rims (The common ones you see on many VW buggies) and welds a disc brake mount onto the back of them. I believe he sets them up for a common street bike disc brake.

These setups from what I have gathered use common VW spindles as they already have holes to mount a braking system on.

But I am not sure how this would come close to working with your own homemade fabbed spindles.

The big problem with the brake part wleded to the rim is if you ever toast a rim (bend it up bad) you gotta have a spare handy with the brake part welded on OR wait for him to get you another as its one piece.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Boomer-61

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:10 AM »
I have no brakes on the front at all.  I have standard ATV wheels and my home made spindles.  I would need to make brake mounts on my spindles and some how put the rotors in my hubs/wheels.  I knew this would not be easy but if it can be done without scrapping my front end I'd love to know how.  Thanks.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
Depending on you spindle size you may be able to use ATV front hubs but the chances of you getting lucky and finding ones that fit right on or fit with just some different bearings may be tough.

A lot of people are not fond of ATV front hubs but for a light rail they can be OK as some of the biggger ATV's weight 700 plus pounds.

But being your buggy is a two seater it may be pushing it. Maybe not??

Chances are you will need to completely remake your front spindles to accept front brakes.

What ATV tires/rims are you running now? Whos hub? What spindle? (somones you modified or did YOU make it custom?)

How much room do you have tall wise? (How tall are your spindles?) Got some pics of it?   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:38:06 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

LiveWire

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
If the studs in your hubs are actually bolts, you can make up spacers to mount a brake rotor with the same bolt pattern as the wheels. Rick S could make you the rotors. You would have to add caliper mounts to the spindles. Rick just bought some Wilwood PS1 calipers from me so he no doubt has the mounting pattern in CAD. He could make you up a bracket with extra material toward the center. You could then just trim the brackets to fit up to your spindles, trimmed to get the calipers spaced right over the rotor and weld them on.

Boomer-61

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
Please excuse the crudeness of the fabrication.  The hubs are standard trailer hubs, probably cast iron.  They do have holes all the way through so the idea of using spacers and studs would work.  How much stopping power can you get out of a disc that is about 6-8 inches in dia?  I have no idea what the wheels came off of.  I just matched them to my hubs from stacks and stacks and bought them.  Not very scientific but the price was right.  Livewire, how do I get a hold of Rick to check into his set up?  Thanks for your help.  You guys must just roll your eyes when you see my posts.  Ha!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
I could not see the pic nor open it to see it. Dunno if others had better luck.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
A 6-8" rotor would be enough.  To mount hats to the back of your hubs, you are going to have to have them turned so you have a true mounting surface.  Your hubs are 4 on 4" if they are trailer hubs by the way.  To bolt the hats to the hubs you could run long bolts through the hat, then through the hub.  Torque them down and then use lug nuts on the out side to hold the wheels on.  You might consider new uprights so your heims could be turned 90 degrees.  People round here don't like to see them the way you have them.  PM Rick S. to get ahold of him.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
not bagging on you.. but those look very weak. especially the tab that your tie rod connects to you.. there is alot of force applied to those parts when hitting bumps, holes, ruts......
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Boomer-61

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »
Voodo,
    They are very weak, I just tacked on the tabs so I could get the wrack pisitioned correctly.  Thanks for noticing.  I'll put in a gusset and beef them up when I get closer to finishing the buggy.  When I was dopping out the steering, I could not get a good turning radius when I mounted the heims vertically.  Maybe I was doing something wrong.  I can change them if I need to but that would probably require I start over.  It would be good to know now before I put on any brake mounts.  Can you tell me Rick's handle so I can PM him?  Nutz, did you see the pic yet?
Boomer

Boomer-61

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:52 AM »
I tried to PM Rick S. and he blocked me.  I guess I'm not worthy!

SPEC

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:21:58 AM »
Boomer I got some pix of a set I designed and built to go with my billet hubs...EVERYTHING should be in double shear...
except I'm having a problem pulling up pix :-\

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
 ;D

Boomer-61

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
Spec,
    After looking over your pics, I think I can easily convert my spindles to look like yours.  I like'm, super beefy.  Now I just neet do get a hold of Rick to see what to do on the wheel side.  Thanks for your help.
Boomer

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
No Boomer no pics. I think my Puter has an issue. I used to see them fine now its not. It even  started to DL SPecs pics then stopped. I will look into it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal