Author Topic: hidden power  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
hidden power
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
so my cousin was visitng for the weekend from colorado..  i decided to take my buggy to his dads where he was staying and ride it there. we rode maybe 10 miutes saturday night.  this morning (sunday) he took his niece and nephew for a ride in it. then i came out to drive it. it has gained a ton of power. revs way way quicker, blows the tires off 1st 2nd 3rd. feels way faster. has way more torque.. i dont get it. could debris had been in the carbs cutting my power? it always felt right before. now it just feels like a whole new beast. i can now pull rpms uphill in 6th gear.. it has left me dumbfounded......
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: hidden power
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
I cannot say with the bike motors but my friends who are avid sled fanatics used to get new sleds nearly every year.

The one friend was always faster. Finally one day he broke down and told us how he had learned to put his motor in a "race mode". It had to do with the way the throttle was held for a few seconds. The sled went from trail mode to drag mode and would kick more power. He had read it somewhere and tried it and it worked.

I cannot say if your machines motor has a setup like this but its worth checking into. Perhaps whoever was driving it might have trigged this mode??

Maybe not.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

chrishallett83

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:40:02 AM »
He never touched the motor?

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:50:35 AM »
It might not have been getting full throttle for some reason B4, and is now..
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
never touched the motor and yes it was for sure full throttle.. its wierd.. he told me he though it felt alot more powerful... crazy.. im not bitching, but if it is about to blow or something....lol

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »
OK, i did not want to say that cause that would be bad juju, (You said it not me) but there is a line of thinking that they run best right before they crap out?   Anybody believe that?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »
OK, i did not want to say that cause that would be bad juju, (You said it not me) but there is a line of thinking that they run best right before they crap out?   Anybody believe that?

Had a 58 348 convertible with the six pack on it that always ran it's best just before a head gasket failure. Always knew that when I was winning at the old 21st junkyard drag strip on Saturday night That I would be replacing the head gaskets on Sunday. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
Hehehehe,that leaking head gasket was just injecting water into the cylinder(s) and produced more cylinder pressure and therefore produced more HP. THEN the gasket said FU2 ,I don't like making more HP.  5: :m
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »
Every single motor I have ever popped....
RAN LIKE A RAPED APE....RIGHT AT THE END ;D
Sorry Voods...I didn't wanna JINX ya

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
This is another wild shot in the dark but maybe you had a bad or weak ground to something that let it run. Just not run good.

Of course when you could not see or hear he was beating the hell out of it an made the ground connect off that killer jump impact....

I have also heard somewhere they run REALLLY good just before they blow up!  ;D 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »
he was taking it over this little jump in the drive way with his little niece and nephew.. it was small.. thats why i was thinking maybe some debris in a carb got jumbled.. 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
You might want to clean the carbs if you think that.

If a piece of debris got dislodged it MAY be plugging a carb port and LEANING a cylinder out.

At the least try to get one of those infrared temp checkers and make sure each exhaust pipe is close to the same temp!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal