Author Topic: Going to build 2 seater buggy need opinions  (Read 28752 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Going to build 2 seater buggy need opinions
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:33 AM »
I would also make the Steering arms on the front uprights double shear.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »
DOug,I agree that double shear would be stronger and many make them double shear. I have a slight doubt tho as to how important or even necessary it is to have the tie rods mounted in double shear. Bear with me for just a moment. I don't know of any modern OEM steering systems that are using anything other than single shear tie rod ends. That includes the largest trucks on the road.  IMO only,and apparently the OEM's also, double shear for tie rods is not a necessity. I really cannot see loads great enough to make it so.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
Is it possible to make doors instead of crawling over the siderails?

chrishallett83

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
As the bars in the side of the cockpit there appear to share much of the torsional loads through the center of teh chassis, use at least 3 nice big beefy heavy duty hinges per door, make the doors good and stiff in flexion, and use at least 2, preferably 3 latches that actually mechanically secure the door firmly to the main hoop (no slop, no movement) to use the doors as a structural member.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »
As the bars in the side of the cockpit there appear to share much of the torsional loads through the center of teh chassis, use at least 3 nice big beefy heavy duty hinges per door, make the doors good and stiff in flexion, and use at least 2, preferably 3 latches that actually mechanically secure the door firmly to the main hoop (no slop, no movement) to use the doors as a structural member.
What would you suggest for the hinges and latches? I'm trying to fiqure this thing out. I have most of it fiqured out. Going to use a Honda Rubicon 500 power plant with the big bore kit for the motor. Reason for the rubicon 500 is that you have 2 options in gearing, first is low D1,D2,and ESP(elecrtic shifting postion) Second is Drive D1,D2,ESP. Then using a Honda Rincon 680 front diff, with cv's,and A-arms for the front. Also using the Rincon's rear diff with cv's and A-arms for the rear. need to contact Doug Heim to see what is the smallest coilover fox shock they make. I want coilovers so I can drive it in the winter and haul my chainsaws and equipment.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »
4.5" travel is the shortest.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
DOug,I agree that double shear would be stronger and many make them double shear. I have a slight doubt tho as to how important or even necessary it is to have the tie rods mounted in double shear. Bear with me for just a moment. I don't know of any modern OEM steering systems that are using anything other than single shear tie rod ends. That includes the largest trucks on the road.  IMO only,and apparently the OEM's also, double shear for tie rods is not a necessity. I really cannot see loads great enough to make it so.

For the most part I do agree but... Those are mainly heavy cast spindles with forged arms and often see the road more then off road. I had built my last Piranha that Wyatt now has originaly with a short single shear arm. On my first trip to the northern Michigan trails I bent each side along with breaking one of them at the end of the weekend due to a tree. When I rebuilt it I changed to double shear and never had a problem since. That buggy was probably only arond 800#

The uprights that most people are building for their own sand cars are made from plate steel and not of heavy forged castings. Just my 10 cents on the matter but I do see your point.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
4.5" travel is the shortest.
Is there 4-14" travel coilovers? Also where did you get your limit straps from? Thinking I need them for limiting the suspension from binding.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
I got my straps from SDHQ.com

3.5" to 18" is the travels avialable in the 2.0 C/O Shocks from FOX

chrishallett83

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »
What would you suggest for the hinges and latches?

For price, availability and ease of setup and fitment, I would use car door hinges and latches. There is probably a better solution out there somewhere, I just don't know about it.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Just my opinion on your door idea, but I would NOT do this because or the safety factors involved. I like knowing that if the unfortunate event of a side impact ever happened, I am not having to worry about a door ending up where my passenger or I am sitting. The safest possible structure will always be a one piece design.

.....Just my opinion...... :)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
Just my opinion on your door idea, but I would NOT do this because or the safety factors involved. I like knowing that if the unfortunate event of a side impact ever happened, I am not having to worry about a door ending up where my passenger or I am sitting. The safest possible structure will always be a one piece design.

.....Just my opinion...... :)

I cant agree more! Build it as one!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
For the most part I do agree but... Those are mainly heavy cast spindles with forged arms and often see the road more then off road. I had built my last Piranha that Wyatt now has originaly with a short single shear arm. On my first trip to the northern Michigan trails I bent each side along with breaking one of them at the end of the weekend due to a tree. When I rebuilt it I changed to double shear and never had a problem since. That buggy was probably only arond 800#

The uprights that most people are building for their own sand cars are made from plate steel and not of heavy forged castings. Just my 10 cents on the matter but I do see your point.
I don't disagree with that either.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Islander

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
About the doors, what about those releases you see on a lot of street / strip cars that allow the door bar to swing out, but locks tight enough to maintain the rigidity of the cage.  I have no experience with them personally, but someone here may have..

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 08:38:27 PM »
I can see going that route if you have a disability and the "door" would assist in getting in and out, but if your perfectly capabale I believe it is safer and easier to just make as solid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal