Author Topic: New/old FNR box need help  (Read 1601 times)

RC51 Rhino

New/old FNR box need help
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
 I have a Shuttlecraft golfcart that I have fabbed in an EX500 (ninja) engine into. It is the only golfcart ever made with independent rear suspension (although it's swing axle) and a really cool FNR box that is cased in a stamped steel case that splits in the middle. I welded the spiders in the rearend to get more power to the ground...the cart is too light and would 'one wheel peel' around the slightest corner. It's plenty fast enough, even though I'm tempted to put in the '01 GSXR 600 that is currently taking up floor space in my shop.

Any way, I found a weak link in the suspension/drivetrain...tiny u-joints that not only drive the wheels but also act as a link to locate the rear wheels. I had one start to let go in Rocky Point, Mexico about a month ago and am now trying to figure out how best to build this strong enough not to give me any more problems. Pics will follow, of course but here is what I am looking for.....

The outputs are +/- 1" diameter with a cross drilled hole to hold the yolk on, no splines or keyways....just the bolt. What I need to know is, if I am using 'sealed' bearings and the case is full of oil will it leak around the bearings? There is a seal on the outside, I believe because the old style bearings were bathed in case oil. If I were to remove the seals, I could easily have a 'spool' made that would fit the bearings and the ring gear on the inside and be splined to accept vw drive flanges (type 2, 930, etc.).

What are your thoughts? Anybody feel free here, I'm looking for reasonable answers! I will be converting from swing axle to true IRS with dual a-arms. I have a bunch of factory Rhino CVs and axle but can't seem to figure out how to use them without a bunch of expense. The vw thing looks to be the easiest and cheapest (if I use type2).

RC51 Rhino

Re: New/old FNR box need help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
 After all the political crap around here lately, I figured I might have SOMEBODY post something on this?? I could really use some help guys.....puuuuleeeeeeese?

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »
Is that a left hand FNR?  If so it is NFG and should be destroyed like all leftist crap....   ;D

That help?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
 That is NOT funny...well okay it is, but DAMN!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:38:10 PM »
I don't really understand what you wrote - can we get pictures?   It helps the admittedly stupid ones like me. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
 I just talked to my bosses dad about it. He is a retired machinist. It's gonna be made out of 4140(?) tool steel with type 2 splines cut in on the outsides. Pics tonight of the before (I hope) and later of the after.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal