Author Topic: Snowmobile belt size  (Read 7784 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
Re: Snowmobile belt size
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
I have cut craddle to pieces. It was only way to fit without making complete new rear end. Engine fits tightly. Secondary will be real tight. Belt length doesn't matter now, I found old polaris belt that is same width and is shorter. My lazy easy transplant has turned into project. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
Looks like a project!

How big was the 4 cylinder bike motor that you took out? (CC?)

How fast did it go with the bike motor?

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 03:05:01 PM »
It was a 550 Suzuki. I don't know how fast it was. The reason for the engine change is my buddy's son is 8. He didn't think he could handle clutch and shifting. I have a Suzuki ltz 400 that needs a engine. Hmmmm. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Admin

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »
what is there time limit at 8? 6 seconds? I have a feeling the snow engine is gonna disapoint you... one thing you might do is think about putting a adjustable driven on there, is the driven 1" key shaft?

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 05:40:41 PM »
There is no limit. There was one kid that was 7 or 8 that had a 570 yamaha in a dragster like this that ran in the 4's. The jr class is limited to 100cc I think. I am using the chain case for reduction. Tim

Admin

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »
Ah, Up here the juinors are limited to time... the benefit of the adjustable driven would be tuneability... if the oem driven was 1" key you could put a larger adjustable driven and gain more reduction as well...

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
The last snowmobile drive I used[in a quad] was geared to low with chain case. We added 2 teeth on jackshaft and lost 10 teeth on axle sprocket. I thought I had it geared to top out at 300'. I am going to put a 13 on jackshaft and use existing axle sprocket[have not counted, but it is small]. We will try that and see what happens. Tim

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
I have made some progress. I made some motor mounts and tacked them in[good thing]. I finally managed to locate secondary. It is a verrry tight fit. It will work with Polaris belt, which is available locally. I just have one small problem.Can you see it?   Tim

Admin

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »
You got the motor so close you cant get the belt off without undoing the motor mounts?

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »
Nope.

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
Looks to me that belt installation and the secondary clearance are going to be interesting

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
I checked both of those issues several times and no problems.

Admin

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »
The only other problem i see, Is that antique motor in that nice car ... :)

SPEC

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »
I'll bite...no sprocket on the jackshaft...and a really short chain with not much clearance to the carb...Plus it it spits the chain...Kiss the carb and lower case of the motor Bu Bye ;D
With a better picture I'd tell ya your eyes are beady... ;D
Mamma dresses you funny.... :o
And you don't love the Baby Jebas... :o ;D
Oh wait... WHAT WAS THE QUESTION AGAIN :-*

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:26 AM »
Yes I agree but the motor was free and it has low miles since it is in Missouri. I guess you can't see that the lower shaft is about 1/2" from the rear motor mouny tube, duh. Time to move that tube to front of mount. Got to have room for sprocket. Ahh Ozark American Engineering. Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal