Author Topic: Gear-One rack problem  (Read 3317 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Gear-One rack problem
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
I've got a Gear-One rack and pinion that I bolted  the rack adapter onto today and the damn thing locked up.I haven't really taken a look at it but it works fine till you tighten up the 2 bolts that retain the adapter.I noticed that the rack cover has a slot in it that the sliding escutcheon  rides in and it appears that it is off by approx .050 and may be the source of the lockup.  Anyone have any similar issues?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gear-One rack problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
What are you clamping?  Rod ends? brackets?  Is it two flat surfaces coming together?  Sounds like something is distorting........

So the slide is .05 off center in the slot?

Take some pictures for us.  I am going to take mine apart just to see what I paid so much for.  ;D  Seems like it should be pretty simple in there.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »
What are you clamping?  Rod ends? brackets?  Is it two flat surfaces coming together?  Sounds like something is distorting........

So the slide is .05 off center in the slot?

Take some pictures for us.  I am going to take mine apart just to see what I paid so much for.  ;D  Seems like it should be pretty simple in there.
Pics tonite. There isn't shit in any of these R&P's regardless of breand. There's a pair of spacers that go through the sliding escutcheon that the two bolts on the front of the r&p go through to attach to the rack. The rack adapter uses these 2 bolts .You SHOULD have no problem but when tightened down it appears that the escutcheon is put in a bind due to it's slot being off.I'll remove the top tonite and post pics. I could be all wrong tho since I had to stop before investigating further.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:52:19 AM »
I've got a Gear-One rack and pinion that I bolted  the rack adapter onto today and the damn thing locked up.I haven't really taken a look at it but it works fine till you tighten up the 2 bolts that retain the adapter.I noticed that the rack cover has a slot in it that the sliding escutcheon  rides in and it appears that it is off by approx .050 and may be the source of the lockup.  Anyone have any similar issues?
Are the bolts your using too long, maybe hitting the back of the housing after passing all the way through the  rack gear?  If you back the bolts out a little, does it slide freely?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:49 AM »
Using the bolts that came with it.The bolts thread into the rack approx 1/2" and the rack is somewhere around an inch os so wide so it doesn't seem like that is a possibility.I'll get the cover off later to see what's going on. Curiosity is killing me .I may run to the shop in a bit to check into it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
Using the bolts that came with it.The bolts thread into the rack approx 1/2" and the rack is somewhere around an inch os so wide so it doesn't seem like that is a possibility.I'll get the cover off later to see what's going on. Curiosity is killing me .I may run to the shop in a bit to check into it.

That's only if Rick didn't get your ankle cuffed to your desk leg

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »
Ptfftpppfttt! I got away! Nananaaanaaaa! I took the top off and YES the slot is off center so that it bunds when the adapter is tightened.FOr what these simple ass things cost one would think that they would WORK when you get them.My cheapo POS ones always did!!!! I'll post pics tonite. I guess I'll place a call to them and see how they handle this.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
The cover did prove to be the culprit.I made a quickie "precision machining operation" on the old table saw and cured it in a few minutes. The slot was off by approx .060.  Engineer ,check yours.  If the slot is not flush with the front of the rack case yours will bind also.  A few shots of the innards are below for those interested. I'm always taking shit apart to see what makes it tick!  Last pic is of rack adapter I made yesterday.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:57 PM »
what is the distance between the center holes on your adapter? do you not like the end load or just to long for your build?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:05:28 AM »
Approx 8". End load are all way too long.Must use centerload and rack adapter to get what is needed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:07:08 AM »
Oops,centerholes are approx 2" spread.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Jet

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 06:25:33 AM »
Hey not trying to be a dick, but whats with running the rack then adapting something to it, then mounting your tie rods, why not just run the tie rods onto the rack  ??? is it better not too, or?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »
You need the rack pivot points to be in a proper position to be able to eliminate(or nearly so) bumpsteer. If you use an off the shelf rack it is unlikely you will be able to get rid of bumpsteer unless you design the suspension around a specific rack.. Much easier to use a rack adapter after designing the suspension to work best. This is a very common practice.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
Hey not trying to be a dick, but whats with running the rack then adapting something to it, then mounting your tie rods, why not just run the tie rods onto the rack  ??? is it better not too, or?

Jet,
It's easier to adapt the Rack to your chassis than adapting your chassis to fit a Rack

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
Jet,
It's easier to adapt the Rack to your chassis than adapting your chassis to fit a Rack

soooooooo true.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal