Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80781 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #465 on: May 13, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »
so the bo port stage 3 head and 2.1 cam def made a very very noticable difference in the 2.3.  so for those that were at the las gathering, know that i developed some electrical gremlins. i believe its a fuse block issue as 1 leg of the 20 amp fuse burnt off on my fuse pump relay fuse. i understand that couldnve been from a loose fuse connection. in this case i know that when i reassembled that i forgot to titghten the power wire nut on the fuse block. went for a few runs and it was cutting out. returned and started checking over things when i noticed that was loose. when i say loose i mean 4 turns from being snug. grabbed it to spin the nut down , it was so hot it left red marks on my finger tips. Yup,loose makes resistance,resistance produces heat. Same thing with the burnt fuse leg. It was tight enough to conduct but loose enough to make heat. Heat made the loose fit even looser which in turn made even more heat. The cycle just kept repeating till -burned connection. The fuse fit in the fuse block might have also been a misalignment between fuse socket and the fuse blade. Not enough contact,even though tight,would also make for high resistance. Likely the scenario in your issue since you said the fuse fit tight in block.

so upon reading up on the aem a1000 fuel pump i run, i know see they state do not exceed 70psi constant and require a 30 amp breaker. now i would not have used a 20 amp fuse if the instruction i read said 30 amp breaker. so apperantly peak draw is 24 ampsI weighed using one of those or using the Walbro E85 pump. It only uses 14 amps and easily handles the fuel needs of my 750ish hp v-8. I had a hard time believing such a small pump can do it but it does. which combined with my 20 amp 16" cooling fan then i guess i was almost using 45% of the 100 amp rated capacity of the fuse block. new one is 100 amp also but built better imo. those 2 higher amp items are 2 of 7 used slots on the 10 slot fuse block.

another interesting piece of info is that aem states the customer uses a 10g wire from batter to pump. interesting part is my pump recieves power through relay from the fuse block. i fed the fuse block with a 10g wire for all systems. my cooling fan also states 10g wire but the wire it came with is 12g.

so i am surprised i didnt have issues sooner, to an extent. i will be adding another 10g wire from batt to the pump relay on its own maxi fuse at the batt. still 12v key switched but remove it from the fuse block.  still need to change cv boot and ngk say the tr55 plugs are too hot and that according to the calculator for my build i should be running tr7's.  2 steps colder and i forgot to order them.

all of this is a long read but explains why the gremlins didnt go ape shit crazy until the motor was pretty much at temp. more heat more resistence imo   

on another note, my ls5 coils are not fused through thet fuse block but do draw there power through that same 10g wire the fuse block uses.  maybe this is adding to my spark snuffing issue??!!??
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »
bought a new/better quality fuse block from summit. going to wire pump and prob fan direct using maxi fuse holders.  both instructions spec 10g wire individually.

so its interesting you bring up the e85 walbro. i did run one in the beginning. i made sure i bought an actual walbro pump as there are many chickity china knock off on the market.  it made 20 pass's at home then started failing at st a 1 week later. started dropping pressure like i had a fuel filter plugged. since it was in the tank and that was an undertaking to swap i decided to go frame mount. the aem does draw some amps but according to there site it supports a sustained 70psi max. it doesnt not support higher psi but much higher flow rates. 

i will admit .......in the tank was quieter and cleaner.  just not willing to take that risk of failure yet. i want to make a diff tank so i will address that at that time.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
Did you buy direct from walbro? I don't trust any other sellers due to so mAny clu terfeits out there. Min have been flawless I have quite a few hours on them. I run just 43 psi though. They have a really low failure rate from what I can find. The prefilter they have are not able to handle but a small amount of crap before pressure drop. . I found that out the hard way.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
i did and mine was set at 43 psi as well. just one of those things i guess.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
as far as a pre cleaner on mine , i used the bag screen that came with it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
as far as a pre cleaner on mine , i used the bag screen that came with it.
Same here. They get clogged really easy. Walbro sells replacements. Mine were barely slightly blackish . I cleaned the shit out of the new teflon lined hoses I assembled but apparently not well enough.I thought i did a really good job of it too! Apparently not.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:31:40 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #471 on: May 16, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »
mine looked clean but then again you know as well as i do.... looks don't mean $hit  :m i decided to divorce the pump from the tank for simplicity. i still do pre fer the pump in the tank soley because it is a cleaner package and quieter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal