Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 101836 times)

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #270 on: July 19, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
Well I believe I was wrong. It has to be fuel causing my issue. We put gas in a spray bottle and spristed a shot into the intake rite  at the point it would lose rpm and it sang a beautiful turbo rpm melody to us!! So now I have to figure why it wont feed enough fuel as the R's increase.
I have the fuel pressure set at 40lbs with the manifold boost reference not hooked, when I hook it back up it drops to around 30. Seems to come back up when rpms do. Being this is a Frankenstein set up, not sure if that is set correctly?

Any thoughts on what we can try?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »
Check out the throttle position sensor.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2021, 07:38:21 PM »
Check out the throttle position sensor.

Thanks Fabr, will do that

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
Just asking ,do you know how to check it out using an analog volt meter? It is the first thing I would check. Then move on to all the other sensors. I assume you have double checked that all sensors are plugged into the correct wiring connector? On some harnesses it is very easy to plug the wrong connector to a sensor .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
Appreciate the feedback on the 2.3 systems.
It is using that (dam) vam thing, hoping to get it running with all the stock components then go from there. I think I have it down to a timing issue. Not 100% but it sure runs and sounds like it.
Everything I read says u have to unplug the "spout" to time, set at 10* btdc plug in and good to go. Well the previous guy cut that out and wired some things together in the harness where this spout thing should be. beathorse.gif~c200. So i set it at 10* as is but when slowing bringing revs up it doesnt advance, it seems to want to but does not. Starts "ok" pending timing at 10* plus/minus some, does seem to kick back over 10*. Idles all day long but just sounds "off".

Any thoughts on what I can do or should try?

if your using the stock dizzy with stock ignition module then yes you need the snout. that produces the advance and you do need and def will cause timing issues. yes you unplug to verify 10* and cam timing on a lima motor is important too. vw is diff so maybe not an issue there.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Just asking ,do you know how to check it out using an analog volt meter? It is the first thing I would check. Then move on to all the other sensors. I assume you have double checked that all sensors are plugged into the correct wiring connector? On some harnesses it is very easy to plug the wrong connector to a sensor .

Unfortunately no, I have not ever checked one of these. But I have printed detailed instructions on how it is done and plan to give this a look tonight. I'll report back what I find out.

I did take a look at all the connections and all seem in proper place and hooked. I did find a possible vacuum issue that i doubt is the problem but i am still going to change how I had it just to see.

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »
Appreciate the feedback on the 2.3 systems.
It is using that (dam) vam thing, hoping to get it running with all the stock components then go from there. I think I have it down to a timing issue. Not 100% but it sure runs and sounds like it.
Everything I read says u have to unplug the "spout" to time, set at 10* btdc plug in and good to go. Well the previous guy cut that out and wired some things together in the harness where this spout thing should be. beathorse.gif~c200. So i set it at 10* as is but when slowing bringing revs up it doesnt advance, it seems to want to but does not. Starts "ok" pending timing at 10* plus/minus some, does seem to kick back over 10*. Idles all day long but just sounds "off".

Any thoughts on what I can do or should try?

if your using the stock dizzy with stock ignition module then yes you need the snout. that produces the advance and you do need and def will cause timing issues. yes you unplug to verify 10* and cam timing on a lima motor is important too. vw is diff so maybe not an issue there.

That's definitely been a issue un itself, trying to decipher what needs to be VW and what needs to follow the electronics for the Ford parts. It seems to be quite the combo....
Some of this I have been impressed with how it was done/built and some seems to be a cobble job. I'm guessing inside some of the cobble lies my issue. This set up had to run and run well at some point as the heads were pushed out do to them over boosting the crap out of it.
We have rebuilt the entire engine and I changed how the intake was some to clean it up and some small other things. After tinkering with it I believe I had it wrong and it is timed according to a VW. The fuel system is "mechanical " with the exception of the fuel injection.  The tps could be the issue, if not it could even be my fuel regulator or pump. Definitely no instruction manual with this one!! Appreciate all the tips and info this far from the group, I'll report back my findings.
I got to get this running so I can get back to my front end!!  ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »

Unfortunately no, I have not ever checked one of these. But I have printed detailed instructions on how it is done and plan to give this a look tonight. I'll report back what I find out.

I did take a look at all the connections and all seem in proper place and hooked. I did find a possible vacuum issue that i doubt is the problem but i am still going to change how I had it just to see.
Just be sure to use an old school analog,not digital, voltmeter. You cannot see if the tps has a clean sweep from closed to full open with a digital.

Your issue may not be the tps but I'll guarantee you that if it is the culprit nothing you do otherwise willl fix it. That's why I'd check it first. Quick and easy to do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:38:36 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2021, 03:36:56 PM »
as fabr said .... check the tps first.
def re connect the snout wire. i am not even sure you'll get auto enrich with the snout disconnected. which in essence would be the pump shot if it were a carb.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2021, 06:02:54 PM »
That's definitely been a issue un itself, trying to decipher what needs to be VW and what needs to follow the electronics for the Ford parts. It seems to be quite the combo....
Some of this I have been impressed with how it was done/built and some seems to be a cobble job. I'm guessing inside some of the cobble lies my issue. This set up had to run and run well at some point as the heads were pushed out do to them over boosting the crap out of it.
We have rebuilt the entire engine and I changed how the intake was some to clean it up and some small other things. After tinkering with it I believe I had it wrong and it is timed according to a VW. The fuel system is "mechanical " with the exception of the fuel injection.  The tps could be the issue, if not it could even be my fuel regulator or pump. Definitely no instruction manual with this one!! Appreciate all the tips and info this far from the group, I'll report back my findings.
[/quote]

What do you mean the heads were blown out? Do you mean the head gaskets?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:10:13 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #280 on: July 21, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »

What do you mean the heads were blown out? Do you mean the head gaskets?
[/quote]

No sir, VW type 1's have no head gaskets.  It literally made enough sustained boost that it pushed the heads themselves out, aka, stretched the head studs. We did fire this engine last fall briefly after acquiring, but it ran real rough and had a terrible compression leak between the heads and cylinders. We also found out the valves didnt seal and leaked there as well. Shes been freshened up, all new studs, case savers and heads as well. I really believe they did this intentionally from what I found with the boost control, waste gate and blow off valve. Why they would do this i have no idea. 
Shes in a much better home now!

Took some tinkering but we have finally made great progress on this. Turned out to be ground issues causing most of our issues. Last night we lost spark as well and had no idea why. Tonight we tested all 12v points in harness and had them. Then we tested grounds and found 3 not connected in the harness.  After running those we had spark and fuel again. It is now timed (VW style) and advances just like it should when watching with a light. It starts great, idles good but does have a fuel issue through the RPM's. I did test the tps, all voltage is good but when sweeping it gets erratic and not smooth, especially when around 3/4 throttle.  This is felt when driving to. I have ordered a new sensor, will be here next week. Really appreciate the advice pointing towards this and the info on the meter to test. I really hope this cures these issues!! If so this will be a great little motor for this rail. While I wait for this to get here I can get back to my front end to!!
Can videos be posted here? If so I'll throw up one of the engine running. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #281 on: July 21, 2021, 08:06:09 PM »
great you found the bad grounds! that will always bit a guy in the back side.

as far as video's....have to up load them to site like youtube or rumble and post the link.

i am amazed it runs with out the snout connector! wonder what they did to bypass that??

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #282 on: July 21, 2021, 08:07:43 PM »
as fabr said .... check the tps first.
def re connect the snout wire. i am not even sure you'll get auto enrich with the snout disconnected. which in essence would be the pump shot if it were a carb.

After going through the harness tonight the snout has been removed and is gone. There are wires in the pigtail that goes to the distributor that are cut, some are spliced together.  This was all done prior to me acquiring this. It is advancing now but I am curious of what you mention above with the "auto enrich "? It does seem to stumble right when boost would come on, would this effect that? Or could the TPS as well? After the stumble and hesitations (which are lean) it does finally increase fuel pressure, makes boost and pressure does increase while building boost when watching the fuel gauge. So I am curious of this auto enrich?

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2021, 08:12:35 PM »
great you found the bad grounds! that will always bit a guy in the back side.

as far as video's....have to up load them to site like youtube or rumble and post the link.

i am amazed it runs with out the snout connector! wonder what they did to bypass that??

I'm not sure, the wiring in this thing is a head scratcher to say the least.  There are alot of things missing. But most everything I have tested tests ok. I will admit, I can work on about anything but electrical is not my area at all!! So I get stumped quickly chasing this stuff down.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2021, 06:30:39 AM »
Sorry,I had it in my head you were running the Ford engine with VW controls but it's the other way around. I worked at a VW dealership in the engine/trans dept about 45 years ago. If the head to cylinder surfaces were not good we would lap them in just like doing valves. If that didn't do the trick there were annealed aluminum crush washers/gaskets that we would use. You are correct that there were no head gaskets as such from the factory.

Glad you found the ground issues and the TPS being glitchy. Fix that before you do more to it . You may find all is well then. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal