Author Topic: A question for the guys that know about welders and welding...  (Read 52134 times)

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
A question for the guys that know about welders and welding...
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:21:46 AM »
Anyway guys here it is, when I was over in the States I bought a Miller 250dx syncro wave which I thought was a good buy, I get the thing over here and I phone a welding store that handels Miller products, I ask the guy what I have to do to change it over for use here in OZ, he went off said if I pull it apart Miller will come and take me to court, and I'll get a huge fine. So can anyone help? Does anyone know what can be done? Oh I looked on ebay and there are four or so for sale and they all say they're great welders eyes ??? So there has to be something! I also sent an e-mail to a guy and asked the question, he said he would not recomend bringing one from the States as it wouldn't meet the Australian Standards and quoted AS60974.10 so again if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it thanks.
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: A question for the guys that know about welders and welding...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:25 AM »
What exactly are you trying to do?  Make a cord so you can plug it in?  I believe synchrowaves all require 220 single phase 50/60 hz. Check the sticker on the back to be sure.  If you need a manual for it, you can look it up Miller's website with the model and serial #.

As far as Miller coming after you, I think the guy is full of shit.  You imported it for personal use.  It's not like you've got a whole container full of them waiting to be sold. eyes  I'm not familiar with importing stuff though... 
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:00:33 AM »
International conect kit #195 303.  Its from miller website.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:31:10 AM by Carlriddle »
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
Ya,you talked to a POS dealer that is willing to fill you FOS to make an unneeded sale.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »
http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=237   Tell that "dealer" (lying mofo) to stuff himself with himself.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-2.pdf

On the last page it states input voltages and hertz. It looks like all syncro wave models are 50/60 hertz compatible. I'd change the plug to the local standard for welders and run it. And I hope you don't have to use the idiot dealer that tried to mislead you.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
Thanks heaps guys! ;D But I did find out that the machines that they sell here have to comply to the Australian Standards, because of the electro magnatic field they emitt. In saying that it not so much the electro magnetic field as much as the effect it has on other appliences, and they said the tele  comunications. It probably just needs a rectifier or some shit that costs 2.50 to make but they'll charge me 500 for it and another 700 to install it. eyes
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:42:02 AM by Reidy02 »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
research it before you believe it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »
Sounds like more bs1 bs1 bs1 to me.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »

+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »
Yeah me too but our Gumbenment is so easily led, if the pommies say something is not too good for your healh, well it's got to be right  eyes and to avoid any legal actions lets jump on it straight away. bs1 kick It shits me to tears.. I tried to have a look at the international connect kit that Carl put up for the Miller site but couldn't actually get on the site. I'll try and have a look again later. Thanks again guys. ;D I managed to get on to the site and had a look but it looks to me to only be the cable ends that conect to the welder. ???
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:49:56 PM by Reidy02 »

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:38 AM »
What exactly are you trying to do?  Make a cord so you can plug it in?  I believe synchrowaves all require 220 single phase 50/60 hz. Check the sticker on the back to be sure.  If you need a manual for it, you can look it up Miller's website with the model and serial #.

As far as Miller coming after you, I think the guy is full of shit.  You imported it for personal use.  It's not like you've got a whole container full of them waiting to be sold. eyes  I'm not familiar with importing stuff though...
In effect Boost, that is what I am trying to do, I want to run it in single phase 240 volt 15 amp, which is what my welder currently runs in. When I was in the States a guy I phoned and asked if this was possible, said yes, as that machine can run plus or minus, I can't remember if he said 20 to 30 % or plus or minus 20 to 30 volts, but yeah he said all I had to do was to change the plug and lead to coincide with our out lets. But because of the friggen Australian Standard  bs1 I don't know what else I can or have to do. eyes
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:40:41 AM by Reidy02 »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:07 AM »
They make some adapters, for when peeps travel, not sure if they do it in that style plug.  Not best but better than cutting cord and splicing an end on there with black tape.  Dang they have some cords hanging on shelfat local weld shop. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
In this case Reidy, IMO, I think it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission from local government.  What kind of voltage/freq do you run in the land of OZ?  I'll check with the Chief later today about hooking it up over there, as we have 3 Miller Syncrowaves, and he knows an awful lot about them.  That's what he used on the ships in the Navy as well.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »
Most welders require a 50 amp service minimum whether . You WILL NOT want to run an adapter on your welder and just plug it into your wall outlet of 15 amps. You'll trip the breaker  all the time unless you just weld at very low amps like maybe 30 -40 amps.  Oz uses 240V 50Hz in all residential wiring. The US uses 220-240V 50Hz also but not for residential wiring ,we use 120-130V 50Hz. There is NO issue running your US welder in the land of Oz other than you will need a higher capacity 50 amp outlet and the associated 8 Ga. so wiring leading from main panel to the outlet .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal