Author Topic: Ball bearing turbos in the sand  (Read 4252 times)

Islander

Re: Ball bearing turbos in the sand
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I think that they got by with it because it stayed beneath the noise level requirements, and I have an old Hot Rod mag that they previewed the car in when it first came out that says it doesn't have any.  A guy who used to live by me had one, and it was loud enough for me to belive it didn't have any, but no louder than my S10, so nothing I could say  ;D

artie on edge

Re: Ball bearing turbos in the sand
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
WTH are you talking about? The center section is sealed just like a plain bearing turbo.No sand gets near the bearing,ball or plain.Just another case of uneducated people making an issue of something they know nothing about.The turbine and compressor areas  "could" get sand in them from a leaking intake system but that's all.  The The turbine area "could" get sand in it from burying the exhaust pipe in a dune at speed I guess. LOL!!

+1, a prime example of an 'old wives tale' I suspect these experts do a lot of damage in their own right with their mis-infomation, let alone the 'sand' polishing of the turbine wheel....

Dont get me wrong sand polishing is not a good idea but like Fabr says, the beaing style aint got nuffin to do with it....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal