Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80808 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
lost quite a bit, oh well lol....thanks for getting it unlocked yummi.  ;D
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »
this is one of the builds i have been watching that enemy brought to my attention as well as another user on turbo ford called onesillynotch.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
i am hoping to get that 10 psi by 2800 rpm....hoping!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
here is a link with really good pics of the ports in the heads. you can see the top step in a couple that i have been referring to.

http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=058466;p=0

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
Are you beefing up the lower end? Reason I ask is if the boost comes on as early as you want,will the innards be up to it?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2016, 06:45:18 AM »
That was an EXCELLENT write up on porting basics. Pretty good detailing of how to develop that first inch and how to approach the short side radius. The short side is very important.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
yes it is and i have read it many time lol i didn't feel i needed to do all he did so followed that and just cleaned up those areas rather than really taking much out as he did. now it's really hard to see and i did not know about that first 1" below valve seat so that was good info. there is a lot of restriction in those ledges in a stock head on these and all the info you want based on casting #'s because 1 plant did the best job out of 4 total so those are the most saught after for the guys leaving them stock. i have 5 total heads,,,,3 are cracked. stock turbo heads got good valves but did not get hardened seat for some dam reason so 99% of them out there are cracked from the exh valve seat. now as far as boosting down low......these motors will handle that just fine. here is a list of known turbo selections that have been field tested well over time from stinger performance. he is a very well respected shop on these 2.3 engines. the top two are stock 2.3 turbos only let go 10 - 14 psi factory. they had a switch on the dash on the 87-88 thunderbirds if you ran premium fuel then it would go to 14 psi. the second is the garrett turbo in the 86 and older thunderchickens and mustangs and 4xrti models or whatever had the turbo 2.3....notice the rpm ranges . max boost on the ihi turbo is 18 psi and on the 83 to 86 garrett is 22 psi but anything over 20 pis is like russian rulet from what i read  rofl   also plenty info out there stating for 25 - 35 pis do not want to see full boost under 2800 rpm. so 10 - 15 by 2800 shouldn't be an issue imo

What turbo should I get for "X" hp?
Remember these are estimated "maxed out" power quotes. It does not mean you'll make this much power automatically with this turbo.
-Stock (87-88 Turbo Coupe) Ishi-Warner IHI: Less than 250rwhp, super quick spooling (full boost at 1800-2000 rpm with a few airflow mods) but runs out of steam at higher engine speeds. Great for heavy cars or daily drivers. Good to 18psi or so.
-Stock (83-86 Mustang/Turbo Coupe, 84-89 Merkur) Garrett/AiResearch T3: Up to about 275-300rwhp. Full boost at 2500 rpm or so with a few airflow mods, pulls pretty well up top. Has a very hard "kick" when boost kicks in. Great for a daily driver/street terror with minor mods. Good to 23psi or so.
-T3/T4 Hybrid T04E 46 trim compressor/Stage III exhaust side with .48 a/r for street cars, .63 a/r for street/strip. Great for engines in the 250-350rwhp range. Full boost at 3100rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Nice linear power throughout rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 12-13 second 1/4 mile range. Good to 25psi or so.
-T3/T4 Hybrid T04E 50 trim compressor/Stage III exhaust side with .48 a/r for street cars, .63 a/r for street/strip: Great for engines in the 300-410rwhp range. Full boost at 3300rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Nice linear power throughout rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 11-12 second 1/4 mile range. Good to 35psi or so.
-Holset HY35: Great for engines in the 300-450+rwhp range. Full boost at 3600rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Pulls like a freight train in the higher rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 10-12 second 1/4 mile range. Loves 30+psi of boost.
-Holset HE351: Slightly upgraded version of HY35. Great for engines in the 300-460+rwhp range. Full boost at 3600rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Pulls like a freight train in the higher rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 10-12 second 1/4 mile range. Loves 30+psi of boost.
-Holset HX35: Great for engines in the 380-475+rwhp range. Full boost at 3800rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Pulls like a freight train in the higher rpm range. Great for street/strip cars in the 10-11 second 1/4 mile range. Loves 30+psi of boost. Split scroll exhaust housing causes boost control problems unless an external wastegate is used or the divider is cut out.
-T61: Great for engines in the 400-600rwhp range. Full boost at 4000rpm or so with a header and supporting mods. Great for serious street cars or drag cars in the 9-10 second 1/4 mile range. Can handle upwards of 40psi.
-There are also many new GT series turbos that will work on 2.3T applications. I did not include them because they are a much more expensive turbo and since they have many more options available, they should be spec'd out specifically for your setup. The same can be said for the newer Borg Warner EFR turbos. They perform VERY well and spool faster than other turbos of the same size but are quite a bit more expensive than those listed above.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:07:12 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
this is a response i got from stinger performance. now he is the one that told me running 25 to 35 pis that i don't want full boost under 2800 rpm i believe he said 2750 but i'm rounding up to 2800 and i am saying 10 or lightly more by 2800 rpm as a choice to keep things more reliable. here is his response....

"Raising compression can improve spool time a bit (and make slightly more power out of boost) but it limits how much boost you can get away with for a given octane as well. Increasing airflow through the engine also spools up the turbo quicker (ported head/intake) and increasing displacement does the same thing (running a 2.5 crank for instance). The more effective means of speeding up spool time is to use a modern turbo like the Borg Warner EFR series which spool VERY quickly compared to normal turbos. With that said though, you have to watch what you're doing when trying to get boost as low as possible as full boost too early sends cylinder pressure through the roof and can bend rods, cause detonation, blow head gaskets, etc. It's the same reason you can't spray nitrous at lower RPM, cylinder pressure gets too high and something breaks. "

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »
anything beyond the stock turbos that require supporting mods......one of the first supporting mods is porting the heads. these stock heads just don't flow enough for the higher cfm comp wheels or atleast that is what i take from all that i have read over the last 2 years.

fast i asked this question but it went away when i locked up the post by posting what i now believe to be too large a pic. when you put that spare motor in your green rails you sold to canadian ron you told me it had turbo heads on it so i  took that as the old one did not. you said it made more power and so you turned the boost down for fear ron may hurt himself until he learned to drive the rail. did you ever look into the differences in those heads?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2016, 12:07:02 PM »
I agree with all stinger said.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
the "What turbo should I get for "X" hp?" is off stingers site.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
Just my opinion but for dining I'd think   I'd forget the stuff that spools up at higher rpms. I'd shoot for one that sacrifices ultimate HP in favor of earlier spool up. Too much turbo is like too much cam.  Drivability is much more than 1/4 mile ets.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
Just my opinion but for dining I'd think   I'd forget the stuff that spools up at higher rpms. I'd shoot for one that sacrifices ultimate HP in favor of earlier spool up. Too much turbo is like too much cam.  Drivability is much more than 1/4 mile ets.

yep that is why i am doing a few things diff to get quickest spool. and why i believe i will use an borg warner efr turbo, they spool the fastest. just want as much low and mid i can get.....top end i really don't care about.

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
yep that is why i am doing a few things diff to get quickest spool. and why i believe i will use an borg warner efr turbo, they spool the fastest. just want as much low and mid i can get.....top end i really don't care about.

I think you have a great plan DS.  It also depends on how you drive it.  I don't wrap mine too tight, I think it saves the engine for years of trouble free driving.  Going up choke cherry, mine will run about 5200 rpm.  Then I used to watch fast in the green car, bouncing the engine off the rev limiter.   rofl  Give her hell   rofl  But we all know how he drives   ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
lol i know! that the reason i'm shooing for effecient low and mid power ranges lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal