Author Topic: single unit sled setup  (Read 6566 times)

Stomper

single unit sled setup
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »
I have been working on this and I think that I have it figured out, for now that is (I hope). It is a complete unit that has a sled engine, chaincase(for reverse), rear center carrier, and a arms as a complete unit that will bolt into the frame of my buggy. It is designed to be able to use the stock exhaust. Keep in mind that this is just tacked together so far. There will be some more weight saving cut outs that will be added and small support brackest and tabs once everything if finalized.
There will be a chain from the lower axle on the chain case to a shaft beneath the engine, which will pivot on the top flange hole for chain tension. There will be another chain from this shaft to the rear axle, which also has 2" of adjustment  for chain tension. It is designed to be easy to remove to work on the components. Please feel free to give constructive criticism.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:19:53 PM by Yummi »

Stomper

Re: single unit sled setup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
WOW sorry for the big pictures, I coppied them from photobucket.  Some of them are cut off a bit but it shows the basic Idea. Everytime I post the screen goes blank and I have to go into my first original post to see what I posted. How do I fix this?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:10:18 PM by Stomper »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
WOW sorry for the big pictures, I coppied them from photobucket.  Some of them are cut off a bit but it shows the basic Idea. Everytime I post the screen goes blank and I have to go into my first original post to see what I posted. How do I fix this?

I fixed it for you - it is actually a photo bucket deal.  Check for an option to re-size the photos before you get the hot link code.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Love the concept. Make it from aluminum and you got a solid plan. IMO.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Stomper

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
would aluminum be strong enough, especialy for the a arm mounts.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
IMO,yes. You would likely want to beef up the a arm mounts but that's no big deal so far as I can see. There's a few ways to do that.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Steel will be easier to integrate into the chassis.  It is just hard to know how much to lighten the plates until you see it in real life.

Is that the jackshaft sprockets that we see in the pictures?  They seem awful small.  If they are both the same size then you aren't getting any gear change out of them?

Is it possible to run 1 longer chain instead of two short ones?

How much reduction does the chain box give?

I like the integral caliper mount.

Good work!

Stomper

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
As far as the insalation into the frame, it is a complete bolt in unit so it shouldn't be a problem. I can't remember what the gears are in the chain case. I can pull of the cover tomorrow and see. Yes the sprockets are the same size, but the are just placed in the hub and not welded to it so they can be changed to what I need. I am not very knowledgable with gearing, so I don't realy know what I need for sprocket sizes yet. This is where I was relying on you guys for some help eyes. My original plan for this was to use a single chain but with a large sprocket on the back the chain would be too close to the plate that the engine mounts on unless I installed a idler sprocket, but that would have to be on the power side (for lack of better words) of the chain. I have to keep the sprocket on the rear axle to a max size of 12". so with the two stage chain I should have plenty of opertunity for gearing.I hope

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:14:44 AM »
How much power can this handle? Is it mostly for stock sled engines?

Stomper

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
I have no idea how much it can handle. all the plate work is 1/8" except for the a arm mount. They are 1/4". Once I get the buggy built and to the test drive point I guess that is when I will find out. The engine is out of a 95 Polaris XCR 600 and is stock. Like I said in the first post once it is done I will see wher I can place some cut outs to save weight without comprimising strength. There will also be extra supports where they are needed.
BTW I am no engeneer and don't claim to be one in the least. I just had this idea and thought it would work.
Please feel free to give some constructive criticizm. most of you guys know more about this stuff than I do.
Here are some more pictures.

these are the front attachment points to the buggy frame. The top and pottom tubes will be welded to the frame and the engine craddle will slip into place and be bolted. There will also be the same type of attachment point in the rear of the unit at the top.

this is the motor mount plate. The mounting holes are sloted to adjust for the propper distance between clutches. There will be screw jack type adjusters to keep it in place. There will be gussets under the mounting flanges for support.

these are the laser cut parts with extra peices.

This is what it will look like from the front. Tha driven clutch is close to where it will be so I will have to fab up some kind of bearing support to minimize the distance between the clutch and the egnine craddle.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:16:13 AM by Stomper »

chuckorlando

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 06:01:37 AM »
How much hp and torque does that engine put out? I was searching them rev cases just yesterday for a possible option.

Can you get some support on that driven? Seems the clutch sits way out from the bearing. I like it

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »
Or slide the motor over as to move the driven up to the case. 
Very slick setup, and engine swap bout as easy as new mount plate.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »
Looks good Stomper.

Where are the round flange mounted bearings from?I've only seen the square or triangle gokart ones.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »
Looks good Stomper.

Where are the round flange mounted bearings from?I've only seen the square or triangle gokart ones.
Probably came of the snowmobile. Look very similar to my 93 Polaris XLT. This is giving me some idea's for my next buggy. 8)

Stomper

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
I have thought about putting the engine off center to move the driven closer but because it is a 3 cylender engine it would make it stick out a bit from the edge of the frame and I don't want that.
As far as the bearing they are the same style that is installed in lots of older sleds, but these are new ones that I just picked up from my local bearing supply place.
I am not sure of the torque that this engine puts out but I was told that is it around 80-90 hp.
I would have liked to use a newer sled engine with the electronic reverse but this is what I have and this is what I am going to use. Plus I live in sled country and these older engines are a dime a dozen and easy and relativly cheap to rebuild.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:48:30 PM by Stomper »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal