Author Topic: housed chain  (Read 4472 times)

artie on edge

Re: housed chain
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
So... back to the original question (I was glad to see it asked), I have a particular need for a narrow rear cassette and am about to cast up a housing (much like masterfabs pics of his test mule) and use an oil immersed chain.

Now I know a lot of guys are using exposed short chains and are experiencing heat issues, my thoughts are use a short chain but constant lube should give this a longer life.

Mine is destined for a short course off-road racing so it wont be run hard then rested like a recreational machine... it will simply be thrashed and thrashed.

I did look very closely at Mastfabs unit (silent chain) but then looked away quickly when he just quoted a price....

Any experience you guys wanna share? (take pity on me...just a poor lil ole boy from down in Aus...need help.... :-[)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
what about a double row 530 chain? we use those on the combines and stuff. will shear the keys on the shafts before the chain will break.     also.. how can a double row timing chain that can last in a 500hp engine, not last under a 70hp engine?  i guess im just not making the connection.. ??  :)
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

borris

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »
It has to do with the speed the chain runs at.The 530 chain is plenty strong tensile wise but the speeds can kill them. Combine is running much slower and the chains are much longer to allow ample cooling time before engaging the sprocket again.  Now with a small motor like you are talking about there's few people having trouble with the 530. My crap was on a tbo'd busa.We have to keep in mind the differences there are in applications.One answer doesn't fit all uses.

borris

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
There's more to it but I'm about to fall asleep tonight.I'll say more tomorrow if someone else doesn't first.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal