Author Topic: Welding spider gears  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Punkur67

Welding spider gears
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »
Has anybody welded a set of spider gears here. My neighbor asked me to do it for him. I have heard of it before but just wanted to make shure I do it correctly. Any advise would help.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
Re: Welding spider gears
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »
I have done it before on an old rat rod type build, make sure you get the penetration REAL good and fill the whole thing into one big piece or it will break! Been there done that!
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

VLADD

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:46 AM »
Welding spider gears to make a posi...
There is really no right way...It's just doing less of a bad job...I'd say hot stick with a "CAST" ROD with preheat and cool down...AFTER a good soak in the parts washer...That's probably not going to happen...
While it can be done with a MIG, they never hold and I mean NEVER hold for long...The chunks that break out of the cast carrier raise hell with the gears...Now there is another method that I have used but you have to pull the carrier and spiders...Drill the carriers and spiders...Drive pins into the holes, toss the carrier back into the diff., then weld away...that  helps to keep thing ridged enouph so the weld have a better chance of holding...Remember your welding on cast iron

borris

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »
I agree with all that's said.I've done it when I was dirt poor but wouldn't now for any amount of money.That said I'd suggest you use low hydrogen rod.Preheat is a big plus.The rod I use is Supermissleweld.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
I was thinking of busting out the tig welder for this one. I also have a fresh stash of 7018 (lo-hi rod). might do a tig root with 7018 cover... I hate to do crap like this but when you the "freind with the tools" it can be quite the burden.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
I have unbolted the diff cover and welded them right in the car after the oil finished dripping out, and took it to the race track after, never had one break, just fill r up good, youll be fine...

Dqracer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »

pmac

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
For dirt track racing we filled the spider gear teeth in with weld (except in the area where they
mesh) and reassembled like a jig saw puzzle. Is that clear as mud. Maybe i can find a picture
tonight.

borris

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »
Oil quenched weld.Redneck heat treating at its' finest! LOL!!! (Yeah I've done it a time or two also)

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »
Makes me giggle...Picture this...elko raceway...saturday night, championship on a 1/2 mile asphalt 26* banked oval...5 laps in...working your way to the front (inverted point start)...The stupid ass your about to pass at about 105 mph. rear end locks up, twists the drive shaft off both ends...hadda be both cuz it came out of the car...maybe I just hit him that hard...But a long story /short In mt best hillbilly drawwllll.......Weeeeul daym man oym reeeellll surrybaout cooostin yeuu thu champeeship....i duunnno whut happeeened I just weldud thayt suukker upe layast noight...
A chunk of the spider gear droke out, got into the ring and pinion locked the rear I punted his ass got the driveshaft between the bumper and the core support thru the radiator,fan,valve cover, took out #1 cylenders valves,springs etc...Head was junk due to the scew-in studs and girdle doing they're job...No championship...couple of nights in jail, dirty bastards broke into my truck and stole tools and parts....All cuz some stupid fxxker did a shitty job of welding up his spiders
No championship, couple nights in jail

boltz2012

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »
Hey SPEC, remind me not to race or ride with you unless my my buggy is top notch. I dont want a buggy/ boxing ride cuz something broke. :) J/K i would prolly have done the same thing. If you dont know what your doing research it first or your mistake could cost others their time to shine..and from your story their tools and freedom :(

borris

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 12:04:57 AM »
I'd like to know if that's your ol' ladies ass in your avatar. If so you're a lucky man. ;D

boltz2012

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 04:10:08 AM »
I was wondering how long it would be before someone commented on her ass. Sure is pretty huh? :o I figure if she can have an ass like that i can have a buggy damn it...Thanks for the comp tho. Just dont get any ideas sucka, you aint hi jacking my ol' lady. ;D I dont know how i keep her honestly. I guess its like ive always said. "It aint the size of your buggy but how you drive it"  ;D ;D ;D Ok lets get back on topic. Sorry for the hi jacking involving my ol' ladies ass. And NO i dont have any build up pics of her. ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:19:05 AM by boltz2012 »

Admin

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 05:36:04 AM »
comon now, thats not your ol lady, fess up and tell what site you stole the image from. ;D

boltz2012

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
Yep thats her... Bet you cant believe this either..Her name is Vicky and she is 36 with two kids. How bout dem apples.  ;D I will tell you tho the picture is an old pic but its my favorite one. Niether of us are as young anymore.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:49:36 PM by boltz2012 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal