Author Topic: 2 Piece Torque Converters  (Read 47 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
2 Piece Torque Converters
« on: March 25, 2024, 06:55:08 PM »
When I got out of drag racing the 2 piece converters were just becoming a thing.  I had about 8 one piece 7" and 8"laying around. Therefore I had never had one apart. When I was beginning to torque the nuts on the converter to flexplate studs the second one just about felll out on its own.  beathorse.gif~c200 beathorse.gif~c200 beathorse.gif~c200 Anyway it's a billet 2 piece and I had to find a way to fix this. Soooo,out came the 30 perimeter cap screws and off came the cover. That is when the reality sank in and I am serious when I say the innards of a converter are literally the simplest part on a car.3 pieces and 2 torrington bearings.I will set the billet front cover on the bridgeport,use the digital read out to locate the 6 holes to drill/tap and that perceived disaster will be cured. Now I need to find a shop that can properly cut off and replace(weld)the starter ring gear on the converter. I'll post some pics tomorrow .

I also decided that time is running short to get the new engine tuned before LS in what,a month? So,I'm going to bolt in the 360 again and have fun.After LS I'll have about 3 months to get the new engine tuned/proved before Idaho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: 2 Piece Torque Converters
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:42:06 AM »
This sucks <a href="http://www.animateit. and its just one of 5hos3 moment where all one can say is well f&@k  :m

I have seen the insides of one tq converter ever. It was a stock one that someone split just because. I truly didn't know what I was looking at in detail but ill never forget it made me wonder if the same engineer designed clothes dryers  :m

I know the new motor will be great for sure but I still think your 360 runs damn good!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: 2 Piece Torque Converters
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:11:37 PM »
This has gone from bad to worse.  I have found that TCS closed up due to owner dying unexpectedly of cancer . His family operated it just long enough to pay off some debt and closed it down leaving anyone with a Fortin transaxle running a converter  up shit creek.  Fortin wanted to buy the remaining inventory of components for their exclusive converter but that fell through.   A lot of inventory apparently just disappeared.  The converter can still be serviced by a couple shops but the starter ring gear is a custom unit made by Meziere. There is absolutely no one else making them.   I can damn sure suggest a couple improvements!   Coan has only 2 of them.  There is another possible shop that may have some . I sent the converter to Coan this morning and they said they should likely be able to send it back end of week.   I'm going to try to buy the extra ring gear from them so I will have on hand a spare just in case.   I think I got the scoop from Fortin what is going to be done to keep these converters available and serviced.  Apparently some big guns as well as Doug Fortin himself are pushing hard as they are screwed as well.   I thought the converter driven stuff was about done for but apparently there are a lot still being used.   Long story short , I should be back together with about a week to spare before LS. If all goes as planned. beathorse.gif~c200
« Last Edit: Today at 07:40:24 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal