Author Topic: Unisteer EPS vs OEM EPS w/Aftermarket control  (Read 5058 times)

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Unisteer EPS vs OEM EPS w/Aftermarket control
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
i would agree but there is a control box like an ecu on the unit itself that takes the inputs from the tq sensors the internal shaft go threw. i only know this because i took one of my 2 units apart because i wanted to see how it worked. now a unit rated for double or more weight than it's actually being used for would/could feel twitchy simply because it has more power to assist with. i believe big dave runs his full power all the time and i bet that can make it a touch more twitchy? idk just guessing on that one but i will personally find out for the next spring dts run at LS
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »
Funny ,there's not any real info on this anywhere that I know of. Simon,I'll clean up your thread and split this discussion of EPS from it if that is OK with you.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
Funny ,there's not any real info on this anywhere that I know of. Simon,I'll clean up your thread and split this discussion of EPS from it if that is OK with you.

good idea and wasn't trying to hijack it. i just got home and looked at my unit. i looked at the unisteer again and can see the diff. the unitsteer actually is using a processor where the vue is just a control box more like a relay hub where main power from the batt is attached and the sensors are junctioned to the actual pcm of the vehicle so the the ebay controller is an on off switch with a variable voltage switch which only sets what would be the speed sensitive steering side of the equation ( high speed low speed assist)  where the unisteer processor uses the input to smooth the assist into a usable proportional/linear drive.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »
That is my understanding. I think the cheap route is perfectly suited to sand. I also think the unisteer unit is the way to go on hardpack of any kind due to the differences you just posted. I further believe Unisteer is making an obscene profit on theirs though.....................  I do like the thing in spite of that.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Unisteer EPS vs OEM EPS w/Aftermarket control
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:51:53 PM »
agreed on both however when it comes time to add mine i am going to look into it a little farther to see if there is an option out there to add the same processor to the vue eps.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Unisteer EPS vs OEM EPS w/Aftermarket control
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
The electric power steering (EPS) system reduces the amount of effort needed to steer the vehicle. The system uses the body control module (BCM), power steering control module (PSCM), torque sensor, discrete battery voltage supply circuit, EPS motor, serial data bus, and the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center to perform the system functions. The PSCM, torque sensor, nor the EPS motor are serviced separately from each other or from the steering column. Ant EPS components diagnosed to be malfunctioning requires replacement of the steering column assembly, also known as the EPS assembly.

Torque Sensor
The PSCM uses a torque sensor as it's main input for determining the amount of steering assists. The steering column has an input shaft, from the steering wheel to the torque sensor, and an output shaft, from the torque sensor to the steering shaft coupler. The input and output shafts are separated by a torsion bar, where the torque sensor is located. The sensor consists of a compensation coil, detecting coil, and 3?detecting rings. These detecting rings have toothed edges that face each other. Detecting ring 1?is fixed to the output shaft, detecting rings 2?and 3?are fixed to the input shaft. The detecting coil is positioned around the toothed edges of detecting rings 1?and 2. As torque is applied to the steering column shaft the alignment of the teeth between detecting rings 1?and 2?changes, which causes the detecting coil signal voltage to change. The PSCM recognizes this change in signal voltage as steering column shaft torque. The compensation coil is used to compensate for changes in electrical circuit impedance due to circuit temperature changes from electrical current and voltage levels as well as ambient temperatures for accurate torque detection.

EPS Motor
The EPS motor is a 12?volt brushed DC reversible motor with a 65?amp rating. The motor assists steering through a worm shaft and reduction gear located in the steering column housing.

Power Steering Control Module (PSCM)
The PSCM uses a combination of torque sensor inputs, vehicle speed, calculated system temperature and the steering calibration to determine the amount of steering assist. When the steering wheel is turned, the PSCM uses signal voltage from the torque sensor to detect the amount of torque being applied to the steering column shaft and the amount of current to command to the EPS motor. The PSCM receives serial data from the engine control module (ECM) to determine vehicle speed. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning during parking maneuvers. At high speeds, less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional stability. The PSCM nor the EPS motor are designed to handle 65?amps continuously. The PSCM will go into overload protection mode to avoid system thermal damage. In this mode the PSCM will limit the amount of current commanded to the EPS motor which reduces steering assist levels. The PSCM also chooses which steering calibration to use when the ignition is turned ON, based on the VIN. The PSCM contains all 8?of the steering calibrations which are different in relation to the vehicles RPO's. The PSCM has the ability to detect malfunctions within the EPS system. Any malfunction detected will cause the IPC message center to display the PWR STR (or Power Steering) warning message.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:06:50 AM by dsrace »