Author Topic: first step of new build  (Read 58007 times)

Offline deano

• VIP
Re: first step of new build
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
carl was just showing how to do it & getting it done  rofl

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »
 rofl rofl   well he definitely showed me up with his roosts!  rofl rofl rofl
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
cari's ddddman   LMAO

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
rofl rofl   well he definitely showed me up with his roosts!  rofl rofl rofl
Well,he definitely SHOWED me his roost ability while teeter tottering on a dune ridge. WHat's it been ? 2-3 years ago? I'm still picking sand out of areas I didn't know the human body even had.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
 rofl rofl
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
Personally,I think you will find that if the tps is off even a little bit,nothing you do will help. TPS must be right before anything else.No exceptions. You also want to get it running right before you even think about adding the t'bo.Personally I don't see how the maps are off 20+ percent no matter what you did with the exhaust.IMO,you have an air leak in the exhaust somewhere.

ok so I have been thinking about this too........ I cannot hear an exhaust leak and I know from my merged tube I made back to the tip doesn't have any leaks now or before because I was very careful to check the welds. 1 thing I have never checked is leaks in the crush rings on the header or the block offs for the emission ports. I will have to remove the cover I have there and spray some windex on those points to check them. I only say this because I have had the headers off twice and those crush rings are the original and evertime I mess with the tail pipe it moves the header up and down a little at the back of the motor. not much just a wiggle which if you look you can see them rock a hair up at the head and if they are leaking slightly they could leak especially at higher rpm up there.  now a couple times in all the runs I have made, I have seen air blow out the air cleaner and pre clean balloons up but only a couple times on decal. I cannot remember the conditions when that happened ie. rpm, start up, free rev etc etc.  back when this happened I thought it was a timing issue which is what prompted checking all.  now a few times if it fires off and dies it will back fire and blow out the intake. it does not like the real cold air on cold start up!  it went from like 76* yesterday to 20* and I had it outside all day and pulled it in after dark and I didn't know if I was going to get it to idle lol had  give it throttle to keep it going to get it in but fired up just fine after being in the heated garage all night! lol  just looked at the suggested map which is probably hosed after firing up in the cold last night and revving it it soo high by accident and now +7 to 15% and pulling fuel in other areas. I could smell the fuel as the wind carried it by last night. I will check for leaks in the ex and 0 the map to stock and set it to auto tune again at the dunes when I can work it through all.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
ok so I have been thinking about this too........ I cannot hear an exhaust leak and I know from my merged tube I made back to the tip doesn't have any leaks now or before because I was very careful to check the welds. 1 thing I have never checked is leaks in the crush rings on the header or the block offs for the emission ports. I will have to remove the cover I have there and spray some windex on those points to check them. I only say this because I have had the headers off twice and those crush rings are the original and evertime I mess with the tail pipe it moves the header up and down a little at the back of the motor. not much just a wiggle which if you look you can see them rock a hair up at the head and if they are leaking slightly they could leak especially at higher rpm up there.  now a couple times in all the runs I have made, I have seen air blow out the air cleaner and pre clean balloons up but only a couple times on decal. I cannot remember the conditions when that happened ie. rpm, start up, free rev etc etc.  back when this happened I thought it was a timing issue which is what prompted checking all.  now a few times if it fires off and dies it will back fire and blow out the intake. it does not like the real cold air on cold start up!  it went from like 76* yesterday to 20* and I had it outside all day and pulled it in after dark and I didn't know if I was going to get it to idle lol had  give it throttle to keep it going to get it in but fired up just fine after being in the heated garage all night! lol  just looked at the suggested map which is probably hosed after firing up in the cold last night and revving it it soo high by accident and now +7 to 15% and pulling fuel in other areas. I could smell the fuel as the wind carried it by last night. I will check for leaks in the ex and 0 the map to stock and set it to auto tune again at the dunes when I can work it through all.
! All the other places you are sure are not leaking need to be rechecked also. The area in the center of where the 4 tubes come together in the collector and the collector to tubes area is especially difficule to test out or to even see if it is fully welded. I would take the exhaust off,plug the header flange ports,stand it on end and fill it with water. Then put it back on if it passes this crude water test with new crush rings. Like anything,start off being absolutely positive the basics are perfect. You MAY have who knows what other issues but this MUST be right for the autotuner to work.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
The air cleaner ballooning may or may not be an issue.Call me sometime. I just typed almost a zillion words on this lost the text. Not going to retype it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
The air cleaner ballooning may or may not be an issue.Call me sometime. I just typed almost a zillion words on this lost the text. Not going to retype it.

tried sat 11 am but you were gone lol   the ballooning when it has happened but usually ( if i remember correctly cause i really didn't pay attention ) was on start up when it fired and died. but i have heard it back fire twice on decel in the last few trips.

also the header where it goes into 1 actually it takes two into 1 then it merges those 2 into one and crossed over itself factory into dual exhaust. i cut the header right before the cross which is more oval than round and welded the collector on at that point or what i call a collector. my exhaust from that point is a slip over that you actually have to pound on and i have a band clamp securing it then and now so i could remove it at that point.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:50:44 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »
Is the slip before or after the O2 sensor? If after ,how far? That may well be the source of O2 errors. I suspect O2 errors IF it would run correctly without the auto tune but you say it does not run right with or without autotune. Right? I still do not believe your exhaust to be the source of the drivability issues you have.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
o2 sensor was 10" past that seam before and now 5" past. the auto tuner isn't making it worse but maybe a little better but the flat spot has been there since day one. all the little things i have done have made a sizable diff and now with the pipe even better so far but on the sand will tell. i think i'll pull the header loose and get a new set of crush sleeves just to........if they were or are leaking, then there should be a trail on some part of them indicating this, i would think. it has always just acted like the choke was partially on like i have said but the funny part is the power has always felt like it was all at high rpm with no mid and the mid is what has been missing this whole time imo. i wonder if the emmisions block off plates could be leaking if that would mimick the same?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
I believe that flat spot is the same flat spot I had that the lawn dart cured. I suggest a nose dive next time to LS. ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Have you used an analog multimeter to check the TPS? I say analog so you can see how smooth the sweep is across the full range of idle to WOT. If it is not smooth as silk across the full sweep,ANY jerkiness in the sweep, ,there is your issue. Possibly,quite possibly. I had to replace mine due to this.   
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »
Have you used an analog multimeter to check the TPS? I say analog so you can see how smooth the sweep is across the full range of idle to WOT. If it is not smooth as silk across the full sweep,ANY jerkiness in the sweep, ,there is your issue. Possibly,quite possibly. I had to replace mine due to this.

i'll pass on the lawn dart but thanks for the suggestion  LMAO

i bought an anolog multimeter just for that purpose and it does operate like it should. it is the replacement for the original tps. flat spot may be a bad way to describe it....it was like the timing wasn't coming in for the punch the motor should have it was almost like the fuel map was off or like low end was in mid range and mid range was at high range. don't know how to describe it but that's what prompted me to stop using the cluster to set as the manual states and go to the multi meter because that was my first thought of how that could happen.  out of all the motors i have ever installed especially on my own this is the first time i have had an issue and the first one i didn't make a straight exh pipe for until now so that was another reason behind the change.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »
The cluster is only accurate at the exact idle speed specified. Mine is on the high side in the cluster all the time and runs fine.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal