Author Topic: Fabr's Car-VW/busa crossbreed  (Read 263071 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Fabr's Car-VW/busa crossbreed
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »
I had a thought flash across my mind.  A scary thing at best......What do you guys think about mating a busa to an 091 VW trans?  I'm thinking direct couple the longitudinally mounted busa to the VW input shaft. Use the busa clutch (eliminate the VW clutch and flywheel)to shift the 091 and the busa trans when needed for an underdrive. Run the busa trans in top gear for max MPH and 4th or 3rd for slower/higher torque situations.   Hmmmm........
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: busa/VW crossbreed?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
You still have the chain to deal with.If you'll read carefully Arrowhead,I believe and correct me if I'm wrong,has only a small amount of time on his setup since the busa transplant. No matter though as I don't want a chain. No the transworks thing isn't the same, like a mendeola/fortin/albins trans they just all look similar.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »
I think if you can get the motor/trans to 'fit' it would be a great thing. You would have an awesome aray of gearing to choose from and no chain to deal with.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
tHAT'S WHAT i'M THINKING
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 11:58:51 PM »
Just a thought, grab a bus trans and pick it up by hand.

Its awfully heavy, so how can you lighten it?

Do you need a diff? Id think not so perhaps remove the diff centre and replace it with a spool. Do you need all the gears? probably not so shift with the busa (nicer anyway) and in the vw only run say 4th, 3rd and reverse, remove the rest...

Still though it would still weigh a ton.

You can mid engine it, engine in front, trans out the back (can buy gear shift kits for this arrangement), direction of rotation is right. Could remove the bellhousing (cut) and shorten the input shaft to close the engine to the trans and run a short jackshaft, aligned like you said.....

Mmmmm..... I like the concept cept for thye weight and perhaps the additional friction losses....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:02:12 AM by artie on edge »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 05:53:40 AM »
Let's back up a moment. If I was to do something like this it would be best to start with the strongest trans.That would be the 091. Am I correct? How much approx do they weigh?  Yes use the busa trans for fast shifts and "normal gear changes" . Those that want a diff could have one and for people like me-a spool. I'm thinking along the lines of 1000-1500#  buggies and 200-300HP busa engines. Would a built 091 be capable?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
Stay with me here for a moment.I'm looking at an 091 and thinking I can get rid of the bellhousing,machine a new front cover to replace it,flip the trans upside down and be able to run it with the engine in front mid engine style. I won't use the VW clutch or flywheel.Doable????
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
I'm using the Honda front wheel drive idea from Arrowhead. I think I'd be worried about the same problem the Transworks trannies have...are they close to being the same parts?

I dont believe there is any comparison there, a 300 hp vw motor has more torque than a busa, and the 091 holds up to them just fine...

Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:59:50 PM »
Stay with me here for a moment.I'm looking at an 091 and thinking I can get rid of the bellhousing,machine a new front cover to replace it,flip the trans upside down and be able to run it with the engine in front mid engine style. I won't use the VW clutch or flywheel.Doable????

Doable yes...You have to have some way to pilot the trans shaft tho, direct drive or not....

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
Let's back up a moment. If I was to do something like this it would be best to start with the strongest trans.That would be the 091. Am I correct? How much approx do they weigh?  Yes use the busa trans for fast shifts and "normal gear changes" . Those that want a diff could have one and for people like me-a spool. I'm thinking along the lines of 1000-1500#  buggies and 200-300HP busa engines. Would a built 091 be capable?

Im thinking in the neighborhood of a hundred lbs...Why transworks decided to wack up a sedan trans is beyond me, why he didnt use the 091 theroy to begin with is odd...Yes i know its not a vw trans, according to him, he obviously copied it from something...Vw....

borris

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »

borris

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Anyone have an approximate length of the 091 not counting the bellhousing?

borris

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »
OR........why not a custom adapter to directly mate the busa to the 091 and pilot the input shaft off the end of the busa output shaft with an adapter?

Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »
OR........why not a custom adapter to directly mate the busa to the 091 and pilot the input shaft off the end of the busa output shaft with an adapter?

Perfect...Git r done...

455bird

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 11:56:53 PM »
If you flip a 901 upside down it will work BUT now the CV flanges are up high so it puts more angle on the axles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal