Author Topic: What did i do HELP  (Read 10926 times)

Offline Jerry

What did i do HELP
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »
I was wiringup the brake lights and now the buggy will not start. I got the lights working and went to start it up and it clicked and lost all power. The fuel power does not power up when you connect to the battery ( i checked all the fuses they look good) i get a tiengle when my knee touches the frame (i am guessing short). So i disconnet  the brake switch at the harness, and left the lights connected to the harness. I still get nothing.

I tried to power the fuel pump my running a wire from the battery to the + side and it would not start pumping. I am getting power to the speedo (it ligts up).

Offline Yoshi

Re: What did i do HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
Take a test light and stick it on the negative terminal of the battery, then touch the chassis/motor and see if it lights up...

Fuel pump only kicks on for about 5 seconds when you put power to the harness by flipping the switch or the key over, not just connecting the battery to the harness....

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
The only time the lights is when on the + post and the other end on the frame. The fuel pump was always pumping up when then the battery is connected.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »
bad connection or dead battery.  check battery connections, engine ground, fuses again.  how did you check the fuses?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
I will recheck those items. I checked the fuses my looking at them. The fuses for the harness are polaris and do not look like car fuses, I will try replacing them with car fuses. Is there a way to ck fuses

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:54 PM »
Looking at them is about useless.  You need to either check for continuity with a meter (best way). or use a test light.  with the test light turn the ignition on and hook test light to a good ground.  then touch the hot side of the fuse with the probe.  If the light lights up you have power.  then touch the other end of the fuse. if it still lights, fuse is good, if it doesn't light the fuse is bad.  For this method you have to have power to the fuse in the first place.  A meter with continuity is the best way.  mine has a setting where it beeps if you have continuity and displays the resistance.  It can also be used to check for voltage which will tell you if the battery is low or you have a questionable connection.  I have a Craftsman meter that I like to use.  I've had it about 10 yrs and I think it cost me $20 at the time.  Now for about $40 you can get a good one, or if you have deep pockets, you could get a Fluke brand.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
I was  able to pull a code there are 3 possiblites all pump relay (related): open load: short circut to ground; short circut to battery. Short circut to ground is the only one i know what it means. I check all the fuses with a continunity tester they are good, the wires coming from the harness to the relay i have no power at. The pump is good i fired it up with test leads.

I am at a loss as what to do next????

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
do you have power to the switch? how did you hook the test leads to the pump?  Maybe the pump ground is bad and thats why it isn't seen?  Do you have power to anything?  where do the battery cables go?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
did you check the plugs at the computer?  maybe one got wiggled loose while you were working on it.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
what is this engine out of?  maybe I can find a wiring diagram to help point you in the right direction.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 07:13:06 PM »
the wiring diagram is in the site diagram area it is the polaris 700 efi , i did not check any plugs. i have no idea how they any thing could come loose. i did not handle any of it.

Thank you for your help, wiring is somthing i am not good at (I am learning the hard way), typing is another

Admin

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
Jerry, check them wires that we talked about previously, that ground wire etc, from the first day you got it going... does the battery have juice? if you had a live unfused short, the wiring would smoke and burn in a hurry....

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »
I hate spagetti....I spotted a fusible link near the starter relay on the diagram, I hate those.  other than that, you just need to look real close at all connections, crimps, plugs, rings, to see if any came loose, it happens.... At least you have a code to go by, you could also start at the pump and trace back to where you have power.  I don't know.  This shit is a lot easier in person.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
Bug that was the first thing i cked, With those the fuel pump pumped the motor would not start. Now the fuel pump does not pump ( the pump works) I am not getting any power from the fuel pump wire on the harness to trip the relay too make the pump come on. I will check more in the morning

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Bug that was the first thing i cked, With those the fuel pump pumped the motor would not start. Now the fuel pump does not pump ( the pump works) I am not getting any power from the fuel pump wire on the harness to trip the relay too make the pump come on. I will check more in the morning

Knowing that, I would check the plug in the comp. and see if the comp. it's self is getting power.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal