Author Topic: Electric fan  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Electric fan
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »
so i got a 16" electric fan... two wire.  normal rotation is a pusher fan, but i need it to pull air through my radiator.. is it ok to swap pos and neg cables so it runs opposite direction?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Electric fan
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:57:41 PM »
Should be fine. Some blades are designed to run either way. Others are made to run better as a pusher or puller by the design of the blades themselves.

A dedicated fan blade is typically said to be better (using a pull fan built as a pull fan as a puller) but often they will all move a good bit of air anyways.

Blades made to run either way will do as good as they can so to speak. If the airflow is ok to and from the raditor area and the radiator is sized big enough you will likley have no issues.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »
the fan covers my entire radiator.. so no need for a shroud. i runs both directions and pumps out the air.. just didnt wanna ruin it.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
The only DC motors that do not like to run eitherway are those with advance timing. RC cars with hot brushed motors often run advanced timing and will run much faster in one direction due to it.

I do not doubt that somewhere a fan maker has tried this with high performance electric fans with one way only blades but advance timing uses LOTS more power and burns the brushes up so most just set the motors to zero timing and let them run. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
As an afterthought if its a particular brand with a model number on it I would research it and see if the maker insists its a one way only.

If not run it.

2088bob

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:36 AM »
you should have no problem at all running the other way   i do this all the time with my customers car s

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
you should have no problem at all running the other way   i do this all the time with my customers car s
That works on universal blade styles but there are directional blades that will work much better one way than the other. It's not just the motor that MAY need to be run in the right direction.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

2088bob

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »
and you are correct   i was refering to it not hurting the dc motor  i use cooling fans that have flippable blades

like this alows me better mounting options

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:07:06 AM by 2088bob »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »
just clarifying.................
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal