Author Topic: am i confused?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
am i confused?
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
ok this is about bumpsteer.   you want the pivots of the tie rods the same as the arms..  what about when you turn???? that puts one pivot out past the arms and the other side on the inside.. so wouldnt you get horrible bumpsteer going fast around a bumpy turn?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SPEC

Re: am i confused?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
It's minimized... Front to rear rack placement also comes into play, You'll need to play with that...there is no real formula for it...just trial and error
There is no such thing as ZERO BUMPSTEER...You can get it down to minute fractions of an inch...But there will always be some

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
ok this is about bumpsteer.   you want the pivots of the tie rods the same as the arms..  what about when you turn???? that puts one pivot out past the arms and the other side on the inside.. so wouldnt you get horrible bumpsteer going fast around a bumpy turn?

Not really.  ;D

When you make the pivots the same then the tie rods are approximately the same length as the arms.  Plus the Ackerman if you have it.  If it is situated horizontally correct so that the tie rod is about parallel to the arms, when the tire goes up and down, the a-arms and the tie rod move together and stay roughly parallel.  When you turn to full lock, they still stay parallel, because the inside (rack) and the outside (spindle) both move out the same.  So the bumpsteer shouldn't change much even with the wheel turned.

artie on edge

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
It's minimized... Front to rear rack placement also comes into play, You'll need to play with that...there is no real formula for it...just trial and error
There is no such thing as ZERO BUMPSTEER...You can get it down to minute fractions of an inch...But there will always be some

+1, Ive heard manufacturers claim of no bumpsteer but with unequal control arms its very very unlikely (notice I didnt say impossible..).

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
I believe NO bumpsteer is impossible.  No NOTICEABLE bumpsteer is entirely possible.  Kinda depends on if you use a yardstick or a micrometer to measure.
This post has been edited due to content.

trojan

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
As I understand it, bumpsteer is only "valid" when the wheels are straight.
If the wheels are turned then bumpsteer is considered to be undefined, but can be measured for any instant.
In my opinion, with the wheels turned there will be measurable bump steer, given that it is minimised/immeasurable when straight.
In practice a driver will not notice this effect as they will be focusing on  the the correctional steering inputs needed to counter the pitch and yaw induced by the bumps, weight transfer and traction differences.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:06:45 AM »
As I understand it, bumpsteer is only "valid" when the wheels are straight.
If the wheels are turned then bumpsteer is considered to be undefined, but can be measured for any instant.
In my opinion, with the wheels turned there will be measurable bump steer, given that it is minimised/immeasurable when straight.
In practice a driver will not notice this effect as they will be focusing on  the the correctional steering inputs needed to counter the pitch and yaw induced by the bumps, weight transfer and traction differences.
Couldn't agree more but to say that bumpsteer should be setup to as little as possible in the straight ahead position.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »
ok thanks for the great answers... i was freaking out thinking i was gonna have terrible bumpsteer while turning
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal