Author Topic: Cooling system upgrades  (Read 14291 times)

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
Re: Cooling system upgrades
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
Enemy you have reminded me that my rad looks like crap. I will have to remedy that in the future. I have thougt about putting panels to cove my entire motor, gas tank, rad. Basicly from behind the seats to the back of the car. Like any rail I have a lot I would like to do. Things I need to do. Power steering is creaping its way up on the list.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
I've been tinkering with the idea of PS as well, but I think I am getting very close to not having the juice to run anymore goodies.
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Get rid of goodies and get ps in the car. Best goodie there is.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
ps is looking like a winter project here along with a few other poss mods!  ;)
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
so nothing to do with your cooling system....yet  ;D

so i still find this interesting and where i don't have all the data yet, we have enough to discuss it.

so while we re valved enemy's rear 2.5 shocks last sat, i noticed a few things. we slowed his comp down half a step to 90 and slowed the rebound down 1/2 a step to 2-1. now he didnt want to slow the rebound down but the board voted and voted against him  rofl  kick bs1 rofl :nw

he asked what comp rate i run in my normal rail. i looked and i run a 50 comp rate in my rear 2.5's that is a faster comp rate then his by almost double the rate. my rebound is 2-1 in the rear and it was needed as it would buck in the whoops and that stopped the rear issue. 

i run 385 to 400 psi in the rear and enemy i believe said 420 ish psi. my rail is 500 lbs heavier and definitely heavier in the rear. both have 24" wheel travel utilizing 14" stroke fox shocks. to be exact in my case i have 23.75" of actual wheel travel with 4" GC at full bump. enemy would need to chime in to be sure but i think he may tap out at the moment his shock bottoms out or right before. been so long i don't truly remember and have had a crap ton going on this year! both are a-arm rears roughly the same length a arm. he has joints so his may have an extra 2" stand off on each side.

so the question is, why does a 500 lb lighter rail need 40 psi more pressure and need to operate twice as slow on compression????????????????????

walked out and measured my lower rear shock mounts in relation to the wheel bearing carrier lower a arm bolting position. mine are 8.75" but lets call that 9" as i was using a tape measure and some cv grease leaped out and bit me.  enemy measure his later that night and reported 13" so 4" farther up the a arm then mine. 4" seems to make quite a bit of difference!  both with a stroke rate of 1.71:1 but due to frame packaging enemy is 4" higher up the a arm and a tad straighter then i am.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2022, 06:28:50 AM »
so nothing to do with your cooling system....yet  ;D

so i still find this interesting and where i don't have all the data yet, we have enough to discuss it.

so while we re valved enemy's rear 2.5 shocks last sat, i noticed a few things. we slowed his comp down half a step to 90 and slowed the rebound down 1/2 a step to 2-1. now he didnt want to slow the rebound down but the board voted and voted against him  rofl  kick bs1 rofl :nw

he asked what comp rate i run in my normal rail. i looked and i run a 50 comp rate in my rear 2.5's that is a faster comp rate then his by almost double the rate. my rebound is 2-1 in the rear and it was needed as it would buck in the whoops and that stopped the rear issue. 

i run 385 to 400 psi in the rear and enemy i believe said 420 ish psi. my rail is 500 lbs heavier and definitely heavier in the rear. both have 24" wheel travel utilizing 14" stroke fox shocks. to be exact in my case i have 23.75" of actual wheel travel with 4" GC at full bump. enemy would need to chime in to be sure but i think he may tap out at the moment his shock bottoms out or right before. been so long i don't truly remember and have had a crap ton going on this year! both are a-arm rears roughly the same length a arm. he has joints so his may have an extra 2" stand off on each side.

so the question is, why does a 500 lb lighter rail need 40 psi more pressure and need to operate twice as slow on compression????????????????????

walked out and measured my lower rear shock mounts in relation to the wheel bearing carrier lower a arm bolting position. mine are 8.75" but lets call that 9" as i was using a tape measure and some cv grease leaped out and bit me.  enemy measure his later that night and reported 13" so 4" farther up the a arm then mine. 4" seems to make quite a bit of difference!  both with a stroke rate of 1.71:1 but due to frame packaging enemy is 4" higher up the a arm and a tad straighter then i am.
Smallish differences in angles and leverage ratios make big differences in shock/spring needs . Actually,if I read that right your differences are  substantial.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2022, 11:34:31 AM »
Yes they do!
In this case, with the same shocks same motion ratio and 500 lb lighter wet weight........ I thought surely they would be in the same ball park.  Clearly an extra 4" of leverage makes a sizable difference!  I say that based on. A 500 lb  difference. Wonder how far thr spread would be if weight was equal?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2022, 01:03:42 PM »
Weights the same, I think the differences in the a arm mounting angles due to ride height is the biggest factor in this.  It's not just motion ratio.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »
Weights the same, I think the differences in the a arm mounting angles due to ride height is the biggest factor in this.  It's not just motion ratio.

i would think the weight bares some load difference but apparently not as much as leverage on the shock via location on the arm.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2022, 04:10:59 PM »
Location and angle from perpendicular
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2022, 09:59:06 AM »
Location and angle from perpendicular

So thats the interesting part and would be interesting to compare side by side but that won't be possible for some time. I believe his shocks are mounted more vertical the mine.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2022, 11:14:10 AM »
Doesn't take much angle difference to make massive difference in springing/damping needs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2022, 06:49:02 AM »
Doesn't take much angle difference to make massive difference in springing/damping needs.

This is true as we have seen. We will have to see what it will take to get closer to the wheel.  The angle on his shock is not much, I think this is more leverage from the wheel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal