Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 101841 times)

78crew

DS a-arm kit information needed.
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:55:18 AM »
I will be receiving an a-arm kit here shortly and wanted to get started ordering parts to put it together with.  I had some questions and know that many of you are very intimate with this particular kit.  I know you have the answers I am seeking.  The only information I have so far is what I have read on the Sandparts.com description.  So here goes...

What bearings do I need to get for my spindle mount rims to work on the combo spindles?  I am assuming inner should be 62mm x 30mm and outer should be 52mm x 25mm?  Also, what is the inner seal size?  Is it the same as a VW or bigger?

The description mentioned that the spindle threads were 3/4" fine.  Does that mean that they are both right hand threads or is there left and a right thread?  Can I just get a couple of 3/4" castle nuts for this and use cotter pins?

What, in your experience, is the best shocks to use?  I have an old set of nitrogen Fox 14" stroke shocks (smooth without springs).  They are pretty long though (about 37" extended).  Will these work or am I better off getting something shorter?

Do you have any advise on lower shock mounting?  Any detailed pictures showing how others have done the lower shock mounts?

Is there an ideal buggy length/wheelbase to shoot for?  Eventually I want to get a bigger engine.  I want to keep the buggy as light as possible but don't want to have something that I can't keep the front wheels on the ground. 

Well... that's it for now.  I must run off to work.  Thanks for your help.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
i too run one on my sand rail. have for the last going on 7 years now and absolutely love it. my only complaint is the builder is an a$$hole to deal with  LMAO

ok so the spindles are combo spindles. pretty much all the parts store carry there bearings. now if you are running spindle mount rims, then determine if they were the larger center bore rim or not. if not, then you need to replace them. if they are then fullerten sand sports has all that info and bearings for them to go from link pin to combo. the spindles come with spindle nuts, nylock lock nuts and bored for cotter pins. yes they are both right hand thread. never been an issue and i have never installed the cotterb pin on my own.             

14" fox air shocks are just to big, imo,  can be done, will look funny and will be tricky to tune but yes you can always use them if you really want to. if your 3x3 with 19.25" axles and holding  26* max on cv's for wheel travel.... then 10" stroke air shock in front is more than enough unless you want coil overs. thats up to you and both will work.  say 16" travel in rear really only need 18" up front. shock placement will be configured for this but set the front chassis 2" higher than rear ( ground clearence) then lean shock in and measure angle, wheel to shock ratioetc etc but if this placement works ( and has for majority of users) then go with it. most likely this will work for you too. there is a bit more to it than that and sounds like fastcorvairs will be close by to help, he knows all this first hand.   i have found that, the 10" stroke fox air at about 20* to 22* (lean in) will get you close. if going with fox 2.0 air 10"  then mark at marks sand trans is a good place to buy them. ask for 60 comp and 2-1 or 90 rebound (i pre fer 2-1 rebound that's personal preference though). i am no expert but this is a good starting point. prob need to charge them 250 psi and 10 cc additional oil in the end.           

ok as far as wheelbase.....depends on goals, to wheelie or not to wheelie lol       

lower shock mounts come welded on lower a arms unless specified differently before ordering.  measure wheel base before starting with beam still on. i say this as the rear trailing arms are usually off on aligment so align before starting. there is an inch or two you can cut off the cradle to shorten but i doubt you will want to. 1st thing to do is level the chassis front to rear and side to side. focus on the front if not possible to get both level. rare to find a square chassis esp in the old beam frames. 

so once you get all that done drop the beam off and start cutting the inner structure back to the first cross tube. no need to cut the outers at this point as your not sure how your going to connect the out upper and lower to the cradle at this point. level the cradle and square it to the chassis. the best way imo to do this is to  measure diagnolly off the lower a arm tabs back to the torsion housing. this of course assumes its welded in straight and most likely isnt but thats what you setting the trailing arms off of and with little to no adjustment as they are trailing arms. none the less imo thats a good place to square off of and should make the front end easier to align.     

again just my opinnion the final decision is the installers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:37:31 PM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
not to hijack anything but received some pics from a customer that installed his in a baja bug. not sure why but someone must have split this posting?? anyway thought i would share some pics. set up for 18" wheel travel in the front.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:59:40 AM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
Thank you very much for the information.  That gives me somewhere to start.  I am excited to see how much better it will handle once all done.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
it will be a major improvement. now if you decide you the standard universal lower shock mount location doesn't work let me know and i will build new blanks for you. since your a member and a friend of fastcorvairs. ship the yours back and i can ship new ones out, if the location doesn't work. i spoke with fast about this.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »
i too run one on my sand rail. have for the last going on 7 years now and absolutely love it. my only complaint is the builder is an a$$hole to deal with  LMAO

I know the effer and yes he is.  ;) ;) :m
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 05:23:50 AM »

I know the effer and yes he is.  ;) ;) :m
He's fine aslong as you ceramic coat his new turbo like you were suppose too.  kick
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 06:09:26 AM »
 rofl  i'm waiting for a call back but as many know my patience wear thin then i start calling and thats where thing usually spiral out of control  5: LMAO
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:56:28 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
I know the feeling. I called JE Pistons this morning and they had no idea where my piston was I sent in for inspection. Had to drive home to get tracking info . When I called them back,they had found it.   Well,at least, it wasn't lost . Said they would get on it quickly. We'll see.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
iam dealing with full force diesel. so i do have to say that they called me promptly at 8:30 am this morning! kaydon had already looked up tracking #`s, pulled up invoices and spoke with staff so he had all the answers up front. they again have my respect and applause! the gal in charge of shipping didnt send the first invoice and ordered the turbo with turbine housing rather than a super core. so my thermal coated housing is on its way just seperate with all the other parts i had thermal coated. he said the mishap occured because i am the first to request the hot side thermal coated. up pipe and down pipes all the time just no exh housing. all handled , poor communication from this gal but i know they have talked to her lol     all in all , at this point in time, i am very pleased with this company.....kaydon in particular.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »
Brodix has been stellar . I picked up my #3 set of heads yesterday. I bought 8 new titanium intake valves,16 new guides,hone guides to size,valve job,surface decks and intake flanges and apparently got a FREE set of valve seals AND exhaust valves since the bill was for the initial estimate less ex valves and seals!!!!!!! Hell the last set of Ti intakes cost me more than all of this together.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
titanium valves... that would be nice! ya sounds like this company is better on there prices but customer service and parts. he customer service goes a long ways but most companies just don't care anymore!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
This topic got side tracked
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:12 PM »
i noticed that too....not sure how it happened but happens sometimes lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 07:21:40 PM »
This topic got side tracked
Well ,if you knew the guy that made those front ends you would understand how the topic got sidetracked..........................I mean,the front ends side track as well............................

This is just bs1 though ,honestly,they are very well designed front suspensions. They work quite well. DS makes them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:23:40 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal