Author Topic: Fabr's Desert Car Body Build  (Read 119369 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Fabr's Desert Car Body Build
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Roughing in the side air intake scoops for the radiator. My favorite roughing in tool is featured. ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

odypilots

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »
Looking good!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »
Thank you. It has a lot of work yet before any glass can be laid but I'm thinking I like it.

After all foam is roughed in approximately .100 undersized it will be time to bondo in all the fillets ,lay a skim layer on ,finish to a stage that would be ready for high build  primer surfacer and final sanding. Since I will be doing a moldless technique on this I can skip the primer surfacer and final sanding before laying glass since applying glass will ,of course,be uneven no matter how talented you are.  It is best to start from a well shaped plug for best results so it will be very close to perfect,just not ready for paint perfect.

The moldless technique for one off stuff is,make plug as I am doing now,lay layers of  well compacted mat and cloth to approx .100 ,rough sand off any high spots,spray duratec or equivalent primer surfacer and final sand to shape. Ready for paint.

Well compacting the layers of glass and resin will allow for a very high FG content with minimal resin for high strength and break resistant flexibility. Many sizes and shapes are available. After compacting,squeegee excess resin away. Resin makes a stiff part and glass makes a strong flexible part. Balance the two for desired results.Here is a pic of a glass roller .
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:01:22 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
 If you overlap the glass by 1/2 on the first layer it gives you two layers at once and lays down more evenly without thick and thin spots. I assume that since you are building this from the inside out that your first layer will be 1708 or something similar and you will finish it off with a couple of layers of 1 1/2 oz mat. If you wipe your radiuses with the back of a spoon they come out really nice and it is a cheap tool that is made of stainless steel so it cleans up easy. If you keep track of the materials you use and the cloth and the resin weigh about the same you are good. If the resin is more than 60% of the total weight the Coast Guard will not approve the work. When the body is done if you spray it with gel coat and sand and polish that you can keep repairing damage and scratches for about an eternity and they blend in invisibly. It is also much harder and more scratch resistant then paint. You may never want to make another one of these bodies but if you make a mold off of it you will have some thing to make repair panels from you know just in case. The mold would have to be multipart in order to be able to release. If you want to do that and aren't familiar let me know.

I assume that you are familiar with catalyzing resin and know the dangers.
Any one that doesn't know mix equal amounts of resin and catalyst some place where you do not mind having a fire and let us know what happens.
 I seen a boat builder have a major fire from a resin gun that was leaking M.E.K. being left hanging in the mold that a 36' boat was being built in.
 With you knowing "Duratec" by name you probably already know all of this.
If it helps you or any one else it was worth the time it took to type it.
And I am probably the slowest typer here. rofl
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
If you overlap the glass by 1/2 on the first layer it gives you two layers at once and lays down more evenly without thick and thin spots. I assume that since you are building this from the inside out that your first layer will be 1708 or something similar and you will finish it off with a couple of layers of 1 1/2 oz mat. If you wipe your radiuses with the back of a spoon they come out really nice and it is a cheap tool that is made of stainless steel so it cleans up easy. If you keep track of the materials you use and the cloth and the resin weigh about the same you are good. If the resin is more than 60% of the total weight the Coast Guard will not approve the work. When the body is done if you spray it with gel coat and sand and polish that you can keep repairing damage and scratches for about an eternity and they blend in invisibly. It is also much harder and more scratch resistant then paint. You may never want to make another one of these bodies but if you make a mold off of it you will have some thing to make repair panels from you know just in case. The mold would have to be multipart in order to be able to release. If you want to do that and aren't familiar let me know.

I assume that you are familiar with catalyzing resin and know the dangers.
Any one that doesn't know mix equal amounts of resin and catalyst some place where you do not mind having a fire and let us know what happens.
 I seen a boat builder have a major fire from a resin gun that was leaking M.E.K. being left hanging in the mold that a 36' boat was being built in.
 With you knowing "Duratec" by name you probably already know all of this.
If it helps you or any one else it was worth the time it took to type it.
And I am probably the slowest typer here. rofl
LOL!!!! Yup,a bit of heat is released.  rofl rofl    I've done this stuff ,on and off,for 30+ years. Not much changes . You pretty much hit it on the head for what I will be doing as layup. First buggy I did a mold off of the plug and then the actual panels since all molds were able to be one piece. This body will be a different animal and will wait till I have time to pull multi piece molds from it. Kind of want to get this thing in the dirt.  I may do gel coat instead of paint. The jury is still out on that. Depends on a few things .  VERY good to know there is a member with tips and tricks on here as well.  So far as slow typing,this took me  FOREVER to type.  LMAO LMAO
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:14:19 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
looks good
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:17 AM »
For anyone interested,here is a good overview ,in general,  of the moldless or "inside out" method.

https://www.fibreglast.com/product/moldless-composite-construction
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
About 90 % ready to start the passenger side.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
Nice lines, will the air scoop be functional?
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
Thanks and yes,scoops are functional ,directing air to radiator.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »
Sweet!  Your car has a sexy body.  ;D ;D

I had thought about scoops on mine to get air to oil cooler, but now I'm thinkin do it cause it looks bad ass! 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
Thanks ,Carl. I hope it finishes out well. The scoops ,I felt,were a necessity. There will be some fairing in of them in the next phase so as to not appear as just a duct hung on the side..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
the scoops do add a nice touch and i wonder if they would help direct the air flow out the back with a windshield?? since i hear most say the windshield winds up swirling the air and sending sand back at them.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
the scoops do add a nice touch and i wonder if they would help direct the air flow out the back with a windshield?? since i hear most say the windshield winds up swirling the air and sending sand back at them.
Good question,guess I'll find out. I have heard SOME have that issue but not all. I guess I'll just have to fight fast for the lead position and not worry about it ,huh?  ;D ;D rofl rofl rofl
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
FINALLY got the windshield frame/wiper assembly/roof roughed in.Thing was kicking my ass. Just couldn't make myself happy for a while. Gonna be one piece for easy removal as a complete assembly. After a bit of final shaping in the next couple days I'll post a couple pics before the skim coating and finish sanding before beginning laminating.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal