Author Topic: Brake line straightening  (Read 2444 times)

borris

Brake line straightening
« on: October 03, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »
Ever buy a 25'coil of copper plated steel brake line ,got it home and then it struck you----HOW the EFF am I going to get this stuff straight enough to look decent?
It's no problem at all to make straight as an arrow. All you need do is roll it out straighten it as much as possible and cut it with about 4 inches extra than needed. Clamp one end in a vise. Chuck up the other in a variable speed drill.Pull the brake line(works well for wire also) taut and give it 3-4 revolutions. Don't spin more revolutions than needed as it will also harden the tube some.  PRESTO! Perfectly straight tube. Short lengths are better done in longer lengths and then cut shorter.I usually do no less than 4' at a time.

405dentech

Re: Brake line straightening
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
That's a cool little trick.  aa: :D I use to do the same thing when wiring up custom car audio stuff. Bunch of wires clamped in the vise. The other ends in the drill. 

artie on edge

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:45 AM »
aw.... I bought a machine for straigtening brake line... damn, why didnt ya tell me earlier?? Cost a few hundred to.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:50:28 AM »
Well since you don't now need it I'll pm you my addy so you'll know where to send that obsolete POS . ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal