Author Topic: Dave Bray's Barracuda build so far  (Read 41720 times)

dave b

Dave Bray's Barracuda build so far
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:09:20 AM »
Hi its been a while since i posted anything. Here are a couple of pics of my build so far, i have to thank Doug for the parts he sent me. This is buggy no: 001, I used a 140A Arc welder, not the easiest way to start but got the job done. I have been building for just over a year and am on the home straight. I will finish my reverse box next week and then I can start to assemble! I am using a 2000 TL1000R for power, mounted transverse, this gave me loads of room in the engine bay to fit the reverse box, as well as giving plenty of room for the exhaust.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Dave Bray's Barracuda build so far
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03:48 AM »
Well,hell! Looking really really good. Don't be shy,keep the pics coming. Nice job!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »
Awesome! I love seeing all of those parts I sent being put to good use! Did you see the pics I posed of your next order comming together?  8)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »
Sweet!  How does the transverse engine drive the rear?  Or is the engine made with a 90degree drive?

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:44 AM »
It's looking really nice Dave!  Just one suggestion...  Unless you want you pretty legs to look like my arms and shoulders from welding, I'd get some pants on Buddy ;)  These scars I have aren't going away anytime soon and even worse than the ones on my arms are the ones on my foot.  It's easy to have happen too.  A little molten metal goes down you shoe or boot and you CAN NOT get them off fast enough. 

Moral of this story... Always wear the pants in life, this includes when you're welding ;D
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:49 AM »
BTDT  LMAO more than once. I'm a slow learner ya know! ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »
In the pics I have seen so far (slow dialup loading. WHEEEEE)

His legs are below the table but still.

What I would worry about is the child standing there. Even if the child watches for only four or five minutes the kids arms might be toasty red with flash burn the next day.

Cover the kid too! All of them. Every square inch! I would cover your arms too. It can get pretty painful!

I often get it on the bottom of the front of my neck if not wearing a low helmet or tall THICK shirt. The stuff (burn) will get you right thru a t-shirt even if you do it long enough. I try to wear heavier stuff even when its hot in the summer.

Builds looking nice. Interested to see more of the reverse setup.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:37:35 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

dave b

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:14 AM »
Hi Guys thanks for the encouragement  ;D the motor is coupled directly to a 90 deg bevel gear box, with the input and two output gears in constant mesh. output shaft (free floating) has a dog selector for F-N-R between the two output gears. This configuration is strong and compact. 2-3% loss on gears and 2-3% loss on bearings, with 130Hp to start should be OK. Reverse is essential for where we will ride. On the welding story that is not how I normally weld, I use a leather welders apron and gloves rofl the kids wanted to see what it looked like through the helmet.
I will be posting a few more pics next week.

dave b

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »
Awesome! I love seeing all of those parts I sent being put to good use! Did you see the pics I posed of your next order comming together?  8)
Yes thanks Doug looking good. you've been busy thats for sure!!!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
Wow your's has come on Dave Looks good mate! ;D You've gota be happy with that! That's the same oil cooler I used. ;) How tall are you Dave 6,2?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:03:27 AM by Reidy02 »
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

dave b

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »
Thanks, I am mounting the fan in front of the radiator and oil cooler behind. Oh and No...kids are really short, only 6 foot. but my mate is 6,3 and fits in fine.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:29:52 AM »
Yeah I'm 6,2 and I was a bit worried I wouldn't fit in, but I got into the Piranah I built with a bit extra added to the cockpit, the top bars were a bit close though.. eyes
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

dave b

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
 here are a few pics of my mates workshop.This is where we will build the two new cudas Doug is busy with. Can't wait to finish and go riding I think I've watched every video out there! keeps me going.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
when you told me you had the machining capabilities I had no idea it was as extravagant. Good on ya! I am finishing up your order very soon my friend and then she will be on its way.  8)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »
Quit holding out on us, we would like to see this 90 gearbox F-N-R thing.  Ok atleast I would.  NICE shop, Doug makes some cool azz stuff and it looks as if you could too.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal