Author Topic: Barracuda build and design issue  (Read 2920 times)

gap351

Barracuda build and design issue
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
Ok so what  issues have people had with the edge plans and design ,there seems to be a few issues that when asked on the edge sight get limited reponce ???, was thinking maybe we could get them all in one place

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Barracuda build and design issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
Doug Heim is the resident Barracuda expert on this site and he has made several great improvements to the original setups.

He owns a decked out machine shop in Northern Wiscounsin and is very busy as he is beyond most when it comes to talented machinsts. He does a lot of other machine work for businesses so he as mentioned is a busy guy.

But if its Barracuda he speaks it better than anyone else. Look up his stuff on here for starters.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »
absolutely.+1!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
Not to forget LanceW either!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »
You can always E-mail me @ Dheim4@new.rr.com as well, and yes... I am quite busy  drowning
Thanks for the words Nutz...

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »
Just from following the cuda builds, seems to me one issue is fouling on the front end?  IDK, don't have one, have not built one, likly will never ride in one. 

I am back off to my corner now.......
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Foggy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:08 AM »
Well I've pretty well built 3 now and not one of them were exact to plan! Upon saying that, as a base build it works very well!! Tony at the Edge has put in a lot of R&D into it before releasing the plans. The main changes I have done to all of them is put an extra 100mm in the cabin and engine bay (200mm together)....... neither have enough room as standard as far as I'm concerned!! I'm 6 foot and I struggle with the standard cockpit size, and unless your putting a small engine in forget it, the more room the better I say!! Even with the ZX14 in there was plenty of room to install extractors and everything with ease, its amazing what an extra 100mm makes. As well as this I made the main roll hoop a little lower and wider to give it a more of a chop top look and give a little more room width ways in the cabin.

Spend the extra $$ and get the upgrade front brakes with 15" rims all round, this lets you have a good tyre choice for one and lets you fit that nice big disc brake and wilwood calipers!!  ;D
Other changes we have done as recent is put in a diff, this improved the handling of the buggy 10 fold for tight cornering. With this came outboard disc brakes on the rear, they now stop on a dime!!!! ;D

I hope that helps a little and I've probably just spent a heap more money for you, but if you want to have something you can race, these changes you really need to consider (beside the official rulings you have from the fraternity you race under such as CAMS here in Australia)......... But if you just want something to have fun with and scare your mates, the standard build would be a blast!!

Cheers,
Foggy

Foggy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »
Here's a link to chassis number ones build thread on hear if that helps??

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1347.0

Cheers,
Foggy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal