Author Topic: Just picked up this new toy  (Read 24247 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Just picked up this new toy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
Just checked the page. For some reason my email didnt mention any posts. Well as far as the carb, Im not gonna let the carb restrict how I build the block up. The guy I got the beetles from says he has a dual carb hes willing to sell me, so I will look at the condition and probably go with that.
Still havent pulled the motor apart. Havent had time. Last weekend I did drive out to the middle of no where to pick up an engine stand I found on Craigslist, hopefully it makes my life a little easier.

Back to the motor work. When I go to the machine shop, What Kind of bore should I be looking for? Trying not to break the bank, but I am looking to bring it up to like 150 HP. Also can anyone recommend a piston kit to go with the bore? I am trying to price everything out at the moment. Still need to sell my DR650 for the cash to finish the project... :/

But hopefully Ill have more info thursday night, Im trying to get the night off of work to tear it down.

Don't want to spend to much but you want 150HP out of a VW kick LMAO You can't use them two words in same sentence.  To get a VW up to 150HP your looking at a stroker crank for sure and them ain't cheap. You will need to buy pistons and cylinders as a set.  You can't just bore out a VW cylinder and find a piston for it.  Al tho they do sell just pistons buy them self's they will cost more then just buying a full set of Cimca's. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

trans man

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
Just checked the page. For some reason my email didn't mention any posts. Well as far as the carb, I'm not gonna let the carb restrict how I build the block up. The guy I got the beetles from says he has a dual carb hes willing to sell me, so I will look at the condition and probably go with that.
Still haven't pulled the motor apart. Haven't had time. Last weekend I did drive out to the middle of no where to pick up an engine stand I found on Craigslist, hopefully it makes my life a little easier.

Back to the motor work. When I go to the machine shop, What Kind of bore should I be looking for? Trying not to break the bank, but I am looking to bring it up to like 150 HP. Also can anyone recommend a piston kit to go with the bore? I am trying to price everything out at the moment. Still need to sell my DR650 for the cash to finish the project... :/

But hopefully Ill have more info Thursday night, I'm trying to get the night off of work to tear it down.
In my opinion I would not go any bigger than 92mm jugs and pistons. The reason for that is when you go 94mm, the case saves are exposed and cut into,which can weaken the block and the head stud can pull out.

If you want 150HP on pump gas you will have to build a stroker 2180cc (92mm bore X 82mm stroke) or 2234cc (92mm bore X 84mm stroke). In that case you can't reuse the stock crack (69mm stroke) or rods. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:23:26 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
Fast is 100% right, a Stoker VW engine is not cheap thing to build. I have $4200 in my 2180cc engine, but it is setting at 220HP at the flywheel. It's built from 100% after market parts, no OEM parts at all. The compression ratio is setting at 13.5 to 1, NO PUMP GAS just 114 octane racing fuel!  It looks like a VW, but it does not run like a VW. 8) 8) 8)

You can get 120HP out of a 1835cc on pump gas, if you use the right parts. But   you will still have about $1500 to $2000 in that engine. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:25:06 PM by trans man »

trans man

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
If you put 150HP engine on the stock car transaxle, you will destroy it. You will need to do some expensive upgrades to it also. More money to spend. 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine! ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine! ;D ;D ;D
Just letting him know up front, so he can make the decision that's right for him. 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »
I agree!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »

chaos6.7

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »
Well if you guys where looking to burst my bubble you did a damn good job at it. Let me try to lower my standards a little.
         How about if I keep the stock crank and upgrade my pistons? Maybe bore it out a little. Is it worth me not boreing and just picking up that 84 piston kit that I found on appletreeauto auto? And any cam/valve recomendations along with it?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Boring is best accomplished buying new pistons and jugs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 06:14:21 AM »
Well if you guys where looking to burst my bubble you did a damn good job at it. Let me try to lower my standards a little.
         How about if I keep the stock crank and upgrade my pistons? Maybe bore it out a little. Is it worth me not boreing and just picking up that 84 piston kit that I found on appletreeauto auto? And any cam/valve recomendations along with it?

A piston kit from Appletree should intail new cyl&pistons. Very few machine shop out there know how to bore single cylinders like the VW and corvair with out crushing them out of round.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »
+1. Motorcycle shops are/may be equipped to do single cylinder jugs but don't have a large enough capacity boring bar. For what a set of jugs/rings/pistons cost it's a far better deal anyway buying the set.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
if it is so exspensive to make these engines have power, and everything about the engine and transaxle needs upgraded, why the hell do people even use them? why not put that money into something better...??
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »
if it is so exspensive to make these engines have power, and everything about the engine and transaxle needs upgraded, why the hell do people even use them? why not put that money into something better...??

lol I think this is why and how motorcycle mini buggies got started!

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal