Author Topic: The FOLLIE  (Read 3696 times)

SPEC

The FOLLIE
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
Here's my achillies heal...
I picked this truck up a couple of months ago...85 S-10 4 x 4 I had one of these back in 86 with the 2.8 and a 5 speed...was good on gas and not too bad to drive...This one has a 700R4 JUNK in it ...It can't get out of it's own way... I'm seriously thinking a 305 with a turbo 350 behind it...I was wondering does anybody here know if the transfer case will bolt upto and hold the added power?

boltz2012

Re: The FOLLIE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
700r4 is a good tranny Spec. I just put one in an 82 1 ton with a 454 in it. id just put a 305 in it but hell if you are gonna go that far id just put a 350 in it. The fron end can handle the weight of it. Then you will have a real beast. I used to have an 86 s10 that had a fully built 350 in it with electric fan and pump and it would pull a wheely off the line. That 700r4 will bolt right up to the 305 or the 350.

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »
Thanks Bolt,
I got the 305 on the bench...Kinda same boat as you...No money...I was thinking when I'm down for the fall trip to LS staying at Fabr's for a extra couple of days...Porting the heads...and using his flowbench ;D  ...I got bribery goods ::)

boltz2012

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
I know the feeling...Damn doctors have cleaned my clock for real this time. I think you gonna have to send me some pickles and some jerky so i can eat.  ;D That 305 will bolt right up to that 700r4 man.and i mean right up.Just make sure you hook all the vacuum lines back up on the carb because it uses a low vacuum pressure switch to tell the tranny when to lock the torque converter up in 4th gear.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
You certain that has a 700 r4 in it, Seems like a whole lot of tranny for that truck, Is that a 4.3 or a 2.8?

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »
2.8 with a definate 700R4...Towing package tag in glovebox and already got the fluid changed...@00 filter is different

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »
I thought 2.8 had different bolt pattern than 4.3.  I would check before expecting easy change. 4.3 is 350 with 2 cylinders cut off.,so same bolt pattern. Look for short water pump to keep fan. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
I have had a lot of experience with 700 R4's. They are fine but they will be short lived unless they have all the upgrades in them for heavy use. The tranny is fine but the TQ converters will die young. Also a 700R4 uses only throttle position to modulate and there are NO cacumn controls on them. THey are extremely sensitive to proper cable adjustment.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
i can attest to that they only have a tv cable.. and no vaccum.. i had on in my trans am... worked great!!! with proper cable adjustment....  also. if spec has that 2.8 bolted to the 700r4, then no reason any sbc wont go in..
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
I was 99% certain the 2.8 was not the same bolt pattern either, reason I asked?

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
I've done several V-8 Swaps in these...
Generally 350-454 with auto T 350's and 400's swaps 2 wheel drive I can't seem to find if the T 350 will mate up to the T-case without mods...
I hate the truck...But it is SSSSOOOOOO clean for these parts, and low milege...only 94,000
I got the 305 and a four wheel drive trans...I just don't want to put any money into it..or tear it apart and find I need to buy some stuff for it...It sits all summer...
I drive the 71 till it snows ;D

boltz2012

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
I just got done this week with a 700r4. The torque converters in them are called TCC. They lock up. The 700r4 is elctric and requires the plug on the side of it to have 12 volts supplied to it at the time it shifts into 4th gear. If this is not done then the torque converter has a short life. Reason being is because when the torque converter locks up the tranny reverses fluid flow throught the tranny thus cooling the torque converter down when on long drives in 4th gear. Without it you will toast 3rd and 4th gear clutches and the TC. As for the TV cable it is a biotch to get adjusted right. Because you got to tinker with it for a min. But if its not adjusted so that right before WOT it kicks the tranny down a gear you will toast the tranny. Its all about heat with these tranies. If they are set up right then they are a fine tranny. If not though and you might as well have a short ass chain on it...cuz its gonna get hot and cook.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »
those transfer cases should be able to move from one tranny to another....
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
I just got done this week with a 700r4. The torque converters in them are called TCC. They lock up. The 700r4 is elctric and requires the plug on the side of it to have 12 volts supplied to it at the time it shifts into 4th gear. If this is not done then the torque converter has a short life. Reason being is because when the torque converter locks up the tranny reverses fluid flow throught the tranny thus cooling the torque converter down when on long drives in 4th gear. Without it you will toast 3rd and 4th gear clutches and the TC. As for the TV cable it is a biotch to get adjusted right. Because you got to tinker with it for a min. But if its not adjusted so that right before WOT it kicks the tranny down a gear you will toast the tranny. Its all about heat with these tranies. If they are set up right then they are a fine tranny. If not though and you might as well have a short ass chain on it...cuz its gonna get hot and cook.
I agree completely.The TC IS the weak link in them. I ran 700R4's in my suburban for 300K + miles and killed 5 of them pulling trailer every weekend.Always traced to the TC. Finally I bought from GM a brand new one with all the current upgrades and it lasted over 100K miles. Before that it was as short as 5K and no more than 50K. Early units just weren't up to the task.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »
The transfer case will swap, I had a 96 s-10 blazer 4x4 with a 355 chevy and 350 trans in it... Takes some work to get it in but it goes...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal